New Config, suggestions for RAM

Terabyte

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Hey,

Here is my proposed spec, does anyone comments, I'm particularly interested in what people think of the motherboard, power supply and main memory suggestions.

4x 80GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II 300 7200rpm 8MB cache Hard Disk Drive (Raid 5)

Asus Striker Extreme Quad Core motherboard SKT 775 nForce 680i SLI Intel® Core™2 Extreme / Core™2 Duo ATX Motherboard

Samsung SH-S182M Black DVD +/-R/RW RAM DL 18x Lightscribe

BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC 320MB Graphics Card. DDR3, PCI-E, Dual DVI, HDTV, TV Out, HDCP

Power supply is: Antec TruePower Trio 650 Watt PSU.

Intel CPU Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz 1066FSB LGA775 4MB cache

Could somebody suggest main memory, I'm keep on having a really stable but fast system here. Stability before speed here. Seems there are few memory modules out there with 800mhz at 1.8V

Does anybody think I could do with better cooling?

Terabyte

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
May I ask if it's a server? Judging by the raid setup.

Here's a list of good psu's:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1491365#1491365

Memory would be kingston value hands down. Works out of the box. Has lifetime warranty. Even though it's no bling.

Thanks for the list, that confirms the PSU choice :)
Haha, It's not a server :) , I want the raid setup because of the availability of data (and possible speed increase though not important). Last minute projects and what not, last thing I want is to find out the one and only 'super massive' 500gb hard drive and all it's content has broken down and it's going to cost £500 to get it all recovered plus the waiting time. Raid seems safer and as it is rather cheap. If all 4 go down or 2 go down at the same time, well that's sodding bad luck, but I have had a hard drive crash, once, and it cost me more than it should have (nearly an A-level). Uni degrees are priceless (Actually they're not they're about £25k-30k) but you get the idea.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Striker Extreme and Value RAM?!?! wow, that mobo is overkill and then some.

Get a cheaper mobo, no need to go over the top. Save your money and get a cheaper ASUS if you like that. If you want cheap SLI, then go 650i board.

akhilles

Splendid
I never suggested striker lol. I suggested the ram. I was going to suggest a cheaper mobo. I think he set his mind on it. Yes, I would go with cheap ram & a low to mid-end mobo.

At stock, there's no difference between value ram & dominator of the same speed.

If you spend a lot of time picking out parts for a forumer & they won't listen to you, it'll be a waste of time. I wouldn't touch any thread if the original poster didn't bother to do a bit of homework.

Terabyte, I see what you're trying to do, but if you ask me, i NEVER trust my data on harddisks alone, even if it's the most reliable ones. :) I have a plan b - dvd-r backups.

Terabyte

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Cheers,

Well what is it that's so great about the striker extreeme that gives it that high price? If I can just swap it for something cheaper, surely they're not the same?

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
actually you'll find that they are almost exactly the same but the striker has a couple of extra things that add 30% of the price like an LCD screen on the rear and crap like that.

get a P5B and save yourself the money

as for ram just get some 6400 stuff at the lowest latency you can afford
i would reccomend
OCZ
geil
Gskill
corsair

as for the raid 5
i wouldnt bother you wqould be much better off getting an external HDD and saving to both each time you save your work alternativly you could come to some arrange ment with a friend and promise each other some HDD room on their comp to backup each others work thats what i did at uni Glad i never needed it tho

Terabyte

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
as for the raid 5
i wouldnt bother you wqould be much better off getting an external HDD and saving to both each time you save your work alternativly you could come to some arrange ment with a friend and promise each other some HDD room on their comp to backup each others work thats what i did at uni Glad i never needed it tho

sure.
Well having found out that raid 5 is rather expensive if you want high performance, I've changed to Raid 1. Apparently there is little slow down.