Sign in with
Your question

Windows Update For Vista Not Working

Last response: in Windows Vista
February 17, 2008 3:34:35 PM

Running Vista.

For the last six months most of my Vista updates have failed to install. Microsoft provides detailed fix instructions. The easier ones I have tried, with no satisfaction. The Knowledge Base fix is too complicated to use.

Is there a piece of software that can fix this problem (as opposed to trying to follow Microsoft's instructions)?

Thanks.
February 18, 2008 2:25:56 AM

daverichards said:
Running Vista.

For the last six months most of my Vista updates have failed to install. Microsoft provides detailed fix instructions. The easier ones I have tried, with no satisfaction. The Knowledge Base fix is too complicated to use.

Is there a piece of software that can fix this problem (as opposed to trying to follow Microsoft's instructions)?

Thanks.

Six months is a long time, you might try this, then try installing the updates after:

1. Click on Start, then RUN.

2. type in: services.msc

3. double click on 'Background Intellegent Transfer Services'.

4. Under startup type enter: Automatic (delayed start)

5. Under service stauus: 'Start' the service

6. Now try to download OS updates.

m
l
Related resources
May 6, 2012 3:27:39 PM

Hi I am having exactly the same problem with my updates. But when I go to services.msc the item labelled 'Background Intellegent Transfer Services'. is not in the list. I am assuming that is my problem then? How would I get this 'Background Intellegent Transfer Services'. and where would I download it from? I have tried using the Microsoft Fixit tool but it says it cant find the 'BITS' which I assume is the item that you mentioned.
I am a complete novice and not really that computer savvy but I can follow instructions if someone is willing to talk me through it.
Also could this have anything to do with my niece getting on the computer and deleting things? I thought I had got away with it but I'm starting to think otherwise.
m
l
August 21, 2012 7:34:01 PM

Im Not Understanding Why The Updates Stopped On Me When I Tried To Start To Do The Updates It Would Let Me And Tried Just About Every Way I Could And Not Having Any Luck ... Even When I Downloaded It FixCleaner It Still Wouldn't Start And Wish Someone Would Tell What Is It That Im Doin Wrong
m
l
!