Problem activating Vista today...

fretman

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
I've been able to activate Vista via the internet for about 10 times without a problem. I'm using the same computer and everything is the same. There's been no hardware changes, etc. What I've been doing is trying different partitions on my hard drive until I find one I'm comfortable with.

But tonight my luck ran out. I couldn't activate Vista via the internet. I got a message saying that Vista is already activated on another machine...I'm hoping that Microsoft is recognizing it's my own machine.

Anyways, I called them up and Microsoft activated it for me.

I asked the person on the phone if I would have the same problem again if I reformatted my hard drive and created new partitions again. He said he didn't know as he wasn't a tech person.

The only thing different about this time was I tried to activate Vista more than once in the same day.

Can someone explain what may have happened as to why I wasn't able to activate this time?

Or is there a limit that Microsoft puts on the number of times you can activate over the internet.

Thanks for the help.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
The question is "Why do you activate Vista???".

When testing like that, do not activate it and you will have a trial of 30 days!

Do your setup, install your programs and if after that everything work fine and you are satisfied, then activate Vista, else, reformat and restart.

fretman

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
You're right. I shouldn't have been activating each time. I was worried that after entering my key during the installation phase that someone could've stolen my key and activated it before me. Then I would've been done for. Thanks for the heads up for next time.