Dual OS?

padlius

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Hi I have a little plan for installing Windows 7 with Open Suse. Now I came across a few problems.

Firstly I couldnt use it when I had Kubuntu. I couldnt get the whole command prompt.

Next problem is when I tried to get Open Suse, I couldnt partiotion it correctly, therefore I failed to install it.

Last thing is I want to have Win 7 on top of that. All 64-bit aswell.

Where do I start?

Thanks.

padlius

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Also I would like to add that Im just dloading 64bit, and will need to wait 2 months till my 2ndary backup pc will arrive. But once I will get 64 bit WIN7 I will have to install and I will also have to create pre-partitions for Suse. I want suse latter on as in 2-3 months new one will be out.

its actually fairly easy to do, just make sure windows is installed first.
Also using a VM is kind of pointless, its a fancy way of saying "running linux in an emulator", ie the performance hit negates all of the reasons to run linux.

padlius

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Ok, so I dont need to pre-partition slot for linux while Im installing Windows. I dont know why I tend to make it overcomplated to myself.

linux_0

Splendid
In the installer you should have the option to change it on the partitioner screen if there's one in 7, every previous version's had that option.

You'll be able to do it on Linux too, i.e. boot linux, partition 40% for 7, leave the rest empty, install 7, then install Linux using some of the empty space.

Good luck :)

padlius

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Guess what, I am running Linux now. I failed to upgrade windows 7. I started off from brand new HDD and I only managed to get Linux on. I like it but I cant do anything. I want to install flash player but with mozilla I dloaded "install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.tz" then I extracted it with ark and I got libflashplayer.so file which I dont know what to do with.

padlius

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
EDIT: I just read what are Tars and RMP's, ok so I dloaded tar and I can go up to the point when it tells me to choose a software to run with.

linux_0

Splendid
Have a read here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/236581-50-give-flash-work-ubuntu

The manual method's the same for every linux distro as long as you've got a 32bit firefox. You'll have to change the path to correspond to your firefox plugins directory.

Flash 10 is known to crash firefox regularly so you'll have to be careful. You can remove libflashplayer.so from the plugins dir at any time to fix it, if it's crashing constantly.

audiovoodoo suggested using the restricted repo in ubuntu if that's what you have. That'll probably be easier.

linux_0

Splendid
By the way, if you didn't already know this, 64bit linux ( amd64 aka x86_64 ) can run 32bit and 64bit software on the same system at the same time you just need to make sure you've got both the 32bit and 64bit libraries installed.

Fedora and other RPM based distros make this really easy to do. Ubuntu's a little different but it can do it too.

Try add/remove software with your restricted repo first before you try it manually.

TRENDING THREADS