Sign in with
Your question

Ubuntu installation help...

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
April 17, 2010 1:23:46 AM

Hello, seeing if anyone can help me with an issue. I'm trying to get my first computer, a five year old hp media center pc, to work again. Reformatted the hard drive and made sure all connections were connected. I turn it on and am met with a screen that instructs me to "bootmgr is missing press ctrl+alt+delete to restart". I'm trying to install Ubuntu on it and have it inside the dvd drive along with a thumb drive w/ the same (Ubuntu) file. I need some help with this if anyone is able to provide.

More about : ubuntu installation

April 17, 2010 4:16:29 AM

I assume you're getting this before installing Ubuntu. Make sure your DVD drive is your first boot device in the BIOS. Currently the Windows' bootloader is occupying your Master Boot Record (which is not erased when reformatting) but due to the reformat the rest of the boot files normally on C:\boot are missing, hence the error. You need to put the DVD drive as a higher priority boot device so it attempts to use that first, rather than trying to boot an OS that doesn't exist :) 
m
l
April 28, 2010 7:58:23 PM

Well, I went ahead and created an ISO image (not sure if that's the term used for the process) on the hard drive from a different computer and that did the trick for installation.

Something I hadn't done before and am looking forward to trying it out again.
m
l
!