View icons as images within folders

Paul Zaidman

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
When I open a file, i am looking at icons.

Something seems to have changed because it used to open as icons and "fill" as images. whether small, or large it always filled in with an icon of the exact image.

Now there are only icons...and the same for images in files within files.

so what did I do? how do I change it back?

Solution
Actually, I know exactly what you are talking about and it was bugging me too, having recently moved from XP to Win 7. :pfff:

Here is the fix I found, which I think will make you happy:

Open the folder.

Open the 'Organize' pull down.

Select 'Folder and Search Options'.

Click 'View' tab.

Under 'Advanced Settings' , 'Files and Folders' UNcheck the 'Always show icons, never thumbnails' box (first one displayed on my list).

Click 'Apply' button.

Click 'Ok' button

Should be all set! :sol:

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Paul, and Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

In windows 7 you have 8 choices as to how your icons look (very large icons, large icons, medium icons, lists, details, etc.) You can choose which way they appear by clicking on the toolbar above many frames, like windows explorer. It's over on the right and called 'change your view'. Some choices show small images from inside the folder, others, like details, do not. You can choose which view to use, or by selecting in windows explorer, 'Tools', Folder Options, 'View' you can set all your folders to look the same, rather than individual windows.

May have inadvertantly changed one of those settings.

Hope that helps!

MikeKix

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Actually, I know exactly what you are talking about and it was bugging me too, having recently moved from XP to Win 7. :pfff:

Here is the fix I found, which I think will make you happy:

Open the folder.

Open the 'Organize' pull down.

Select 'Folder and Search Options'.

Click 'View' tab.

Under 'Advanced Settings' , 'Files and Folders' UNcheck the 'Always show icons, never thumbnails' box (first one displayed on my list).

Click 'Apply' button.

Click 'Ok' button

Should be all set! :sol:

Solution

Meegz

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013

Thanx for the 411, worked instantly.