Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to set up a crashed PDC while BDC is on in 2000

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 21, 2011 7:01:08 AM

Hello,
our Windows 2000 PDC server crashed. The backup server is still on line. Kindly tell me how to setup the PDC while backup server is on line.
Thank you.
June 21, 2011 7:50:04 AM

There is no such thing as a PDC in Windows 2000 networking. All DCs are peers (with some very slight exceptions).

Just restore the crashed server from your backups and bring it back online.
m
0
l
June 21, 2011 10:52:06 AM

Ijack said:
There is no such thing as a PDC in Windows 2000 networking. All DCs are peers (with some very slight exceptions).

Just restore the crashed server from your backups and bring it back online.


Ijack I thank you for your answer, the last backup that we have taken is in February 11. Also we have replaced the machine. Can we install the new machine and promote it as a domain controller having the other server as additional DC.

Thank you.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 21, 2011 11:05:06 AM

If you restore the backups to your server it should automatically be a DC. Or am I misunderstanding you? Is your backup server now a replica of the original server?
m
0
l
June 21, 2011 11:22:43 AM

Ijack said:
If you restore the backups to your server it should automatically be a DC. Or am I misunderstanding you? Is your backup server now a replica of the original server?


Yes, it is a replica of the original server. But the issue that we have purchased a new machine since the current one is bit old. Can we do a fresh installation and convert that machine as the master DC.

m
0
l
June 21, 2011 11:58:22 AM

You can just set up your new server as another DC. Again, there is really no such thing as a master DC. The only thing that you may need to change is to transfer some roles to the new serer. Have a look at this Knowledge Base article for some information (although it's about Server 2003 the principles remain the same). You can find more information by Googling "Active Directory roles".
m
0
l
June 21, 2011 12:46:07 PM

Ijack said:
You can just set up your new server as another DC. Again, there is really no such thing as a master DC. The only thing that you may need to change is to transfer some roles to the new serer. Have a look at this Knowledge Base article for some information (although it's about Server 2003 the principles remain the same). You can find more information by Googling "Active Directory roles".



Thank you verymuch. I will try it and get back to you if I have any queries in this regard.

m
0
l
June 22, 2011 10:16:16 AM

Ijack said:
You can just set up your new server as another DC. Again, there is really no such thing as a master DC. The only thing that you may need to change is to transfer some roles to the new serer. Have a look at this Knowledge Base article for some information (although it's about Server 2003 the principles remain the same). You can find more information by Googling "Active Directory roles".


Hi Ijack, I was able to cleanup the metadata in the Ad domain. Now when I tried to transfer the master roles, in schema master role, the error appears as "Current FSMO can not be contacted" Please let me know how to proceed from there. The main problem is that the Previous server is not operational to transfer the roles.
m
0
l
June 22, 2011 10:25:24 AM

It sounds like you are going to have to seize the roles. Here's another KB article that explains the procedure and gives a few more links: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504/en-us.

It's probably wise to make sure that you have a backup of the System State bfore doing this, just in case.

Good luck!
m
0
l
June 22, 2011 12:29:56 PM

Ijack said:
It sounds like you are going to have to seize the roles. Here's another KB article that explains the procedure and gives a few more links: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504/en-us.

It's probably wise to make sure that you have a backup of the System State bfore doing this, just in case.

Good luck!


Thank you for your valuable links. But I have a problem in transferring the schema master role to the new server since it says that the current server is offline and return with a error.

In the operations master the domain name can not be changed. kindly let me know your expert comments.

m
0
l
June 22, 2011 2:33:12 PM

Have you tried the siezing (rather than transferring) procedure? It is supposed to cover this sort of situation. For some reason that link I gave isn't working now. Try: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504.
m
0
l
June 23, 2011 7:54:17 AM

Ijack said:
Have you tried the siezing (rather than transferring) procedure? It is supposed to cover this sort of situation. For some reason that link I gave isn't working now. Try: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504.


The status of the "Primary" as follows

Server "primary" knows about 5 roles
Schema - CN=NTDS Settings,CN=PDC,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,
CN=Configuration,DC=prestige,DC=lk

Domain - CN=NTDS Settings,CN=PDC,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,
CN=Configuration,DC=prestige,DC=lk

PDC - CN=NTDS Settings,CN=PRIMARY,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites
,CN=Configuration,DC=prestige,DC=lk

RID - CN=NTDS Settings,CN=PDC,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=
Configuration,DC=prestige,DC=lk

Infrastructure - CN=NTDS Settings,CN=PRIMARY,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Na
me,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=prestige,DC=lk

If I were to seize roles, can I seize only the roles that I was unable to transfer or do I have to seize all 5 roles. Please let me know your comments.

m
0
l
June 23, 2011 8:07:58 AM

Seizing roles is something of a last resort, so you should only do it as a last resort. If you are able to transfer a role then that is the better course of action. If you are going to keep both DCs then there is no need to transfer all roles. In fact it's more efficient to share them out.

But, for each of these roles, some DC must be responsible. Your situation, as I understand it, is that the roles belonged to the old DC which no longer exists. Therefore each one needs to be transferred to an existing DC. If transfer is not possible, that's when you need to sieze.

You may want to read up about roles in a book about server 2000 to be sure that you understand what is happening, or even possibly get a consultant to help you. It's difficult to be too precise without having access to the Domain.
m
0
l
June 23, 2011 8:14:50 AM

Ijack said:
Seizing roles is something of a last resort, so you should only do it as a last resort. If you are able to transfer a role then that is the better course of action. If you are going to keep both DCs then there is no need to transfer all roles. In fact it's more efficient to share them out.

But, for each of these roles, some DC must be responsible. Your situation, as I understand it, is that the roles belonged to the old DC which no longer exists. Therefore each one needs to be transferred to an existing DC. If transfer is not possible, that's when you need to sieze.

You may want to read up about roles in a book about server 2000 to be sure that you understand what is happening, or even possibly get a consultant to help you. It's difficult to be too precise without having access to the Domain.


I can enable team viewer software in my server so that you can log on remotely. Are you in a position to help me.
m
0
l
June 23, 2011 8:44:02 AM

I really don't want to take on that sort of responsibility, TBH. I'm happy to offer advice based on my experience, but I don't want to get into hands-on consulting.

I think you might be advised to find a local consultant who knows about Windows networking. As well as helping with your current problem they would be able to advise how best to make your network more resilient and recommend a good backup regime for your purposes.

I'm sorry, but I think that it's in your best interests to get a local expert on the job rather than opening your network to some unknown person from a forum.
m
0
l
June 23, 2011 9:01:38 AM

Ijack said:
I really don't want to take on that sort of responsibility, TBH. I'm happy to offer advice based on my experience, but I don't want to get into hands-on consulting.

I think you might be advised to find a local consultant who knows about Windows networking. As well as helping with your current problem they would be able to advise how best to make your network more resilient and recommend a good backup regime for your purposes.

I'm sorry, but I think that it's in your best interests to get a local expert on the job rather than opening your network to some unknown person from a forum.


Agreed.

Can you please explain me if I seize rolls what repercussion that a domain could expect.
m
0
l
June 23, 2011 9:29:34 AM

Have a look at this article which explains things clearer than I can. This is not something that I have had to do on a live Domain, but only on a practice setup, which is why I don't wish to appear too dogmatic about what you should or shouldn't do.

If you want to do this without professional help, and if you have the time and resources available, it might be an idea to set up a small test network and test the procedures. That would give you more confidence when doing it for real and allow you to experience any potential problems.
m
0
l
June 23, 2011 12:19:37 PM

Ijack said:
Have a look at this article which explains things clearer than I can. This is not something that I have had to do on a live Domain, but only on a practice setup, which is why I don't wish to appear too dogmatic about what you should or shouldn't do.

If you want to do this without professional help, and if you have the time and resources available, it might be an idea to set up a small test network and test the procedures. That would give you more confidence when doing it for real and allow you to experience any potential problems.


Thanks very much for your support. I was able to correct the issue by seizing the roles.
m
0
l
June 23, 2011 3:04:54 PM

Good news. I'm pleased to hear it.

Carpe diem, as they say.
m
0
l
June 24, 2011 5:31:42 AM

Ijack said:
Good news. I'm pleased to hear it.

Carpe diem, as they say.


Ijack, Can I have your e-mail address so that I could contact you for an emergency.

Thank you very much.

Thusitha.
m
0
l
!