hakko

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
Is there any advantage to stripping down XP Pro so that it has the basic components for running games?

If you are just playing games, how much of XP do you need? Is there an easy way to trim XP?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
XP is pretty streamlined already, but there are a few things you can do to squeeze some more performance out of it.

Do an "msconfig" > Go to Services > Check "Hide All Microsoft Services" > Now uncheck anything that you don't need.

After that, go to the Startup Tab in "msconfig" and start unchecking undeeded programs. (Stuff like qttask - QuickTime, Reader_sl - if you have adobe, etc.)

If you are just playing games, how much of XP do you need?
You just need to the bare essentials (Drivers) to start up and play your game w/ maximum performance. Stuff like McAffee and Norton will murder your RAM, CPU, and HDD times. So advise against using any of those and going w/ some freeware software that is much easier on system resources.

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Really, unless your system is dog slow, at which point you shouldn't be gaming on it anyway, you will gain no advantages and really will just be wasting your time. Time you should be using to game anyway. Remember XP was designed around the year 2000. The average computer was 5-800mhz wiht maybe 256 mb ram. Now days people run on average 2-3ghz and 1-2gb of ram.

So yeah don't waste your time trying to tweak xp, Vista, now thats a whole different animal.

hakko

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
Doesn't seem what hardware you have, seems to always slow down. I just want a small OS for gaming and want it to load quickly. I've made an install CD size about 150MBs, just need to make it bootable...

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Hey, do a little experiment for us. Do a stock default install of xp with latest drivers and everything. Then do a install of your "trimmed" version.

Play a few games, post some load times, fps etc. Show us if the fruit of your labor was worth it.

Also, tell us if you had any issues. You know missing file problems or anything else.

Also what in the world did you ditch to get it down to 150mb's? I mean the cd is normally 550mb's an install is what 1gb of hard drive space?

Appreciate it.

drts

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
ther is a smart freeware program

SparkleXP

SparkleXP is an application designed to tweak Windows XP and improve its performance,
it helps freeing up computer resources resulting in a faster and responsive computer.
This tool creates a second Hardware Profile and a correlative new User to get a lightweight desktop.
You can choose to boot into your regular or SparkleXP configuration at startup.

just sparklexp > sparklexp - or normalxp > normalxp.
its wery easy to use.

i used i when only got 1gb mem (2x512) in pair
after i bourght 2 gb (2x1204 in pair. and changed the mem from one to two gb i dont need to use i . ok it will still do it better but im lazy and do like to have my mail an other stuf on at all time, ;) and dont want to have mails recived some as one user and some as sparkle user.

another tip is if you want to play oblivion go get oldblivion and install it . after instaling oblivion . then just start the oldoblivion instad and like magic i can play it on my old nvidia fx5200 card ok sometimes i goes slow and i have to re install oldblivion , but it takes 1 minute and im up running again :)

hope this is usefull and sorry i im putting link here if its against the rules. its freeware and im too lazy to read rules.

http://www.sparklexp.com/

drts

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
ok that i so dont understand , im danish
is it my grammar
u dont like.
:)

l like more if u talk about the topic instead of playing teacher :(

surrealdeal

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
hahaha. 'trimming'. i used to delete all but the most critical .dlls and etc. but really, how does deleting files help you cpu intense games? you can try to kill off threads you don't need. I've tried. Really, there's no point in it.