Help New Build Won't Post

knobbus

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
Please help, my new build won't post. I have built many AMD systems in the past but this is my first intel build. I have

E6600
2 gig ram
GE Force 7600GS
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
WD 320 IDE hard drive
No floppy
Lite-on CD/DVD drive

The first couple of times I forgot to plug in the cpu power supply. When I fixed that it went through to the point where the cd lit up, then stopped.

Now it the case fan will come on and the cpu fan will spin briefly but then stops.

The internal speaker gives a single beep. Any ideas? Bad motherboard? Did I fry my cpu?

Thanks

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
The first thing I'd do would be to reinstall the CPU/HSF Clean the past off the HSF with rubbing alchohol and a coffee filter and put a dab of new paste, Arctic Silver, on the HSF before reinstalling. Sounds like a CPU heat problem

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
check and recheck all your connectors are securly plugged in.

Now normally when your fan start to spin up then stop like this there is a short somewhere on your motherboard normally it happens if the MOBO contacts the case somehow.

Did you use all the screw standoff? Also I have seen this happen if a screw gets left rattling around the inside the case somewhere and wedges between the MOBO and the case.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well... did you wash your hands throughly? I mean, if you get them AMD germs on that CPU and MB it may not work out....

:oops: . o O (JUST KIDDING)

Man... I've seen so many DS3 with this type of problem. Well, the description of just power on then off.

I've always mentioned ram, since there so many different brands requiring different voltages.

Funny thing is, I never really saw a definite answer to why.

Could ya tell us what was the exact kind of ram that you brought to see what it requires for voltage.

I do remember another post recent, to where they had the same problem. Turns out he forgot to plug the 4 pin power for the CPU to the MB. So it could be as simple as that. :lol:

knobbus

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
Well I tried cleaning the cpu and reseating with no luck. Same symptoms case fan comes on, then a brief spin on cpu fan, the off and a weak beep from the speaker. Then this repeats again and again.

The memory I am using is G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory.

What do you recommend I try next?

Thanks

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
That ram should be okay, saw 1.8 - 2.25 voltage off NewEgg.

Only other thing I'd recommend is to run the MB outside the PC case on cardboard.

Thing is, not to use the PC power buttons, and use a flathead screwdriver to short the correct jumpers to mimic the button for power on.

That way your eliminating any thing that the PC case would/could cause the system not to boot up.

The power supply should be at least able to make the system POST, but once you get it up and running perhaps you might find other problems, if the PSU isn't sufficient.

agreed with grimmy^
i've had a psu do this to me sometimes. it was a raidmax psu, kinda an old one..

what i did, is i unplugged it from the motherboard, shorted the ground and a negative pin on the 20 molex, and let it run for a while. i unplugged it and plugged it back several times, then, miraculously, and quite a question to me as to why it worked, the pc booted.

jazzman2

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Hey Its Your hard drive I had the same problem, try another and let us know. Is this a clean install? Is the hard drive from another mobo?

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
- Try booting with only 1 stick of RAM installed (and try all the DIMMS)
- Unplug ALL unneccessary devices (i.e. sound card, hdds, CD drives, etc.)

Note: Even if the HDD had an old install on it, it shouldn't matter. I've done many installs with previous OSs on my drives and just formatted them when the Windows Install asked (if anything, PC just won't boot from a drive)

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
it doesnt need the harddrive to post, disconnect everything not needed to get into the bios screen, i.e. harddrives, USB devices ) and as was suggested use 1 stick of ram, remove all pci express/pci cards and just keep the gpu one. Try using different mem sticks

If that doesnt work, take it all out of the case and lay it on an antistatic bag( should be ok to just get it to post )/wooden or plastic surface then assemble everything and see if it posts

Try reattaching the hsf on the CPU( take out the cpu again and put it back, make sure no thermal paste leaked into the mobo cpu pins )

If none of the above works, i would conclude from my own experience that its more than likely the mobo is fubar

knobbus

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
Okay, I pulled everything out of the case and tried on a piece of cardboard. Now the case fans and the cpu fans spin but that's all. No beeps from the internal speaker.

Tried with one stick (both separately) in all positions but didn't make any difference. Tried with out memory and got continuous beeps from the speaker.

Any thoughts? Fried motherboard or cpu? How can I tell which it is?

Thanks

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
i agree with notherdude, its always the mobo, i had the same thing, RMA'd CPU, no joy trying replacement, RMA'd the mobo fixed the problem, then that one died( ASUS P5N32-E SLI ) thought it might have been memory, bought another 2 gigs, no joy, so i gave up on asus and got an evga, all that in 6 weeks, was a nightmare and basically had no cer in all that time, sorted now

but as i said every single thing that didnt work for me was the mobo, had the same with the last asus, would detect no memory but wouldnt post, BIOS got corrupted on it, anys my point being is that ill never buy a mobo again without LED's that can show post errors

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Page 83 of your manual has the beep codes. Your MB is telling you what it thinks is wrong.

Try listening to it and find the beep codes.

AWARD BIOS Beep Codes
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long 1 short: DRAM or M/B error
1 long 2 short: Monitor or display card error
1 long 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: DRAM error
Continuous short beeps: Power error

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Page 83 of your manual has the beep codes. Your MB is telling you what it thinks is wrong.

Try listening to it and find the beep codes.

AWARD BIOS Beep Codes
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long 1 short: DRAM or M/B error
1 long 2 short: Monitor or display card error
1 long 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: DRAM error
Continuous short beeps: Power error
well done d post, and you dont even have the same board, but kudos, genius 8)

knobbus

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
Thanks for all of the help. When the memory is in place I don't get any beeps at all, just fans on and nothing else.

Memory out does give me continuous beeps as noted.

At this point I am going to RMA the board to Newegg for a refund and get a board with LED as recommended.

Thanks for all your (speedy) help.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
The OP stated that he had a: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

I grabbed the manual online and cut and pasted the beep codes. Just trying to help.

I thought it might help him to troubleshoot what was going on.

Given that he had a single beep (as stated) given by the board, that normally means one of two things. Since the beep codes say all is well... It is either screwed or he has issues with video as he can NOT see the POST (many newer folks have NOT attached the power for the video card and have reported similar results ie.. the MB thinks everything is OK but nothing displayed).

Just trying to help a little and had very little time. So if your genius comment was meant to be sarcastic (thanks) if not (thanks) :).

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
The OP stated that he had a: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

I grabbed the manual online and cut and pasted the beep codes. Just trying to help.

I thought it might help him to troubleshoot what was going on.

Given that he had a single beep (as stated) given by the board, that normally means one of two things. Since the beep codes say all is well... It is either screwed or he has issues with video as he can NOT see the POST (many newer folks have NOT attached the power for the video card and have reported similar results ie.. the MB thinks everything is OK but nothing displayed).

Just trying to help a little and had very little time. So if your genius comment was meant to be sarcastic (thanks) if not (thanks) :).

nah was a compliment dude, simply cos i couldnt find the beep codes for my old asus board, as for the GPU power, it shouldnt be required to POST as it will only run in Vesa mode( i think i have that right ) for the Bios screen/startup screen, its worth a try, but my 7800 will display without the extra PCIE power,it'll just flash up messages, will post then die starting up windows

Thanks for all of the help. When the memory is in place I don't get any beeps at all, just fans on and nothing else.

Memory out does give me continuous beeps as noted.

At this point I am going to RMA the board to Newegg for a refund and get a board with LED as recommended.

Thanks for all your (speedy) help.
The boards with LEDs are more expensive, but based on my own bad luck with non led boards and not posting i gave up and i felt the need for piece of mind if you know what i mean( cos if it doesnt post its difficult to find the culprit if you only have 1 PC and cant test parts ), so just bear that in mind the extra cost for a board with an led

best of luck

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Knobbus,

Buy a board based upon its reviewed capabilities NOT on the fact that it has an LED.

All boards will tell ya what is going on. Just in differing manners. Be it beep codes or led (just a number that you still have to look up in a table in the back of the manual).

The DS3 is NOT a bad board. Every manufacturer has a DOA piece every now and again.

Buy your board based upon the needed feature set and capability.

If you feel the need to OC and want a board that does that well (buy that type of board).

Hope this helps.

@lmimmfn: TBH I have never left the power off of a card to see what it will do... I have not been that adventurous/did not want to waste time during a build :). Gotta have that build up as fast as possible!! And then the post build high drops off.... :)

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I agree with ches111, i should have posted it, its based on what you want, definitely read reviews, beeps and stuff dont do it for me, cos my first asus wouldnt beep which ment i couldnt tell at what post stage it was dying at, but i beeped back at it a lot :)

ches111 - it only happened me by mistake, trying to get the asus boards up and running i must have rebuilt everything about 15 times( pain in the butt, reapplying thermal paste &HSF all those times ) and i forgot the power once, ahh, its good experience :twisted:

For me personally from now on,im gonna go with the cheapest of the cheap for mobo's or the expensive ones, my old asrock939 rocked, could mess around with voltages and what not, reset cmos loads not a bother, then the asus p5n32-e 8O

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Okay, I pulled everything out of the case and tried on a piece of cardboard. Now the case fans and the cpu fans spin but that's all. No beeps from the internal speaker.

Tried with one stick (both separately) in all positions but didn't make any difference. Tried with out memory and got continuous beeps from the speaker.

Any thoughts? Fried motherboard or cpu? How can I tell which it is?

Thanks

Well... at least the system sounds like it stays powered up. With it powering up then powering down, in the PC case, hard to say what was causing that. I'd think the 4-8 pin (power for CPU) from the power supply wasn't pluged in, or the system thought the power button was pressed continuously.

I'd also think the MB is okay, since it is responding with beeps with no memory. I guess you didn't try to leave the memory in, then pull out the video card? It should beep indicating no video card.

I think I made a boo boo when looking up the voltage on the ram. I said I saw 1.8-2.25. That kit was G.Skill DDR2533 memory, not the DDR2800 (I was pretty tired when looking that info up). Seems as though the 800 version needs 2-2.1 volts. There maybe a chance that the MB may give (default setting) 1.8 volts for the ram causing the system not to post properly. But don't quote me on that, since I haven't yet experienced it, though I read about it.

Now I've read some post in the past, that people using just 1 stick of ram that has a default voltage of 1.8, getting their system to post, go in the bios to raise the voltage to 2.1, power down, switch the ram, and their problem is fixed.

I've seen people face this in the past, but all of them just didn't have access to another stick of ram to do that. And I'm not sure if what I've read in the past is correct.

I guess GL on the RMA MB since your going with that.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I'd think the 4-8 pin (power for CPU) from the power supply wasn't pluged in
Good point, he should make sure its connected properly, i plugged the wrong connector into this on my old asrock board simply because they werent labeled, i.e. the ATX 12v was only a 4 pin and i could only find as 4 pin one on the PSU( incidentally the wrong one )