Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help w/installing Vista 64 bit - GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3

Last response: in Windows Vista
February 20, 2008 3:08:32 AM

Hi,

I'm looking for information about installing Vista 64 on a GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3. I'm not new to building just new to Vista/64-bit. I have ordered a new Hard Drive and the 64 bit Ultimate edition and I'm wondering if there are any changes that need to be made in my BIOS when I make the switch? The only thing I can see is a setting under power management - HPET MODE, it is currently set to 32-bit with the option of 64-bit. Is there any other changes I need to be aware of?

How simple (or not) is formatting the new operating system? How would you suggest I format the drive?

I already have the 64-bit drivers downloaded and ready to go. Any information and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :) 

System spec:
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 (latest BIOS)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz
4GB GeIL Evo One DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
EVGA 768-P2-N835-AR GeForce 8800GTX Superclocked 768MB 384-bit GDDR3
PLEXTOR Black 8M Cache IDE Slot Load DVD Burner
ASUS PHYSXP1/128M/GRAW/A PhysX Processing Unit 128MB 128-bit GDDR3
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ700 ATX12V / EPS12V 700W Modular Power Supply

February 20, 2008 4:35:15 AM

Reformatted and reinstalled the system in my sig today. VISTA 64 Ultimate takes about 26Gb of HD space when initally installed. After everything, all my software including MS Office 2000 Small business and all the patches, I'm setting at 43.6 GB fully loaded up tonight. That's with all online updates from MS and also includes several System Restore points I created.

Your system looks good to go. The only hardware/software I have that will not run on VISTA 64 is an ancient HP 8300 MFC printer circa Windows 98 era (no XP drivers were ever released, but it does work on VISTA 32). Pinnacle Studio 9 will not work on VISTA period. Have to purchase version 11 if you plan on using it with VISTA. Very old hardware/software you have may not cooperate.

You will likely have to use one DIMM of RAM in slot one and get into BIOS and set the RAM voltage to 2.1v and the timings to Mfg. recommendations. Just don't want you blaming VISTA 64 on your system crashing during installation. My VISTA 64 system is solid from the beginnng many months ago. 8)
!