New system powers up and nothing happens, M2N-E mobo

Hiriath

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
I recently purchased several parts for a new system.

These parts include:
*APEVIA X-DISCOVERY-BL Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
*Western Digital Caviar SE WD2000JS 200GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
*AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA4600CUBOX - Retail
*DIAMOND X1950PRO256PCIE Radeon X1950PRO GDDR3 PCI Express x16 VIVO Video Card - Retail
*ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
*APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply - Retail
*CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail
*ASUS 16X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology, Include Free CD Case Beige E-IDE/ATAPI Model DRW-1612-WHT - Retail

When I power on the computer, the fans blow, the hard drive powers up, the dvd-rom tray opens and closes when i push the button, but nothing happens. I've cleared CMOS twice (I think I did it correctly).I've taken all the pieces out and put them back in, twice. I really don't understand what the problem could be, unless it's just a DOA mobo or maybe processor? Please, someone help.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Are you saying that when you press the DVD drive button, the draw won't open? If that's it, make sure you have the most recent firmare for the drive. If that's not it, you should RMA the drive. Given they're about $30, you may want to buy another one and when the return the one you RMA, you can use it as a spare. If it's a problem with either the on/off button or reset button, likely not connected to the mobo correctly. If something else, please clarify

Hiriath

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
No, I'm saying that everything is receiving power correctly, however it seems like something is either messed up with the bios or the bios are just non-existent. I'm not getting any beeps or anything on startup, and i'm getting no display as well.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
As for the beeps, make sure you have the case's audio connector connected correctly. Beeps may tell you someting. If you have two sticks of RAM, try running them one at a time but likely you'll have to RMA the mobo. Happened to me about 6 months ago and it was the mobo

Hiriath

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
Okay, perhaps I haven't been clear. The computer powers up. There is no display, no beeps signfying a memory check, nothing. The pc speaker is connected, but that doesn't even matter. The DVD-ROM opens and closes, that doesn't matter either. These aren't the problems people. I appreciate the insight, but my computer is not doing anything once it gets power and I'm just looking for some sort of reason why, or what part could be causing it so I can send it back to newegg before it's too late.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Okay, perhaps I haven't been clear. The computer powers up. There is no display, no beeps signfying a memory check, nothing. The pc speaker is connected, but that doesn't even matter. The DVD-ROM opens and closes, that doesn't matter either. These aren't the problems people. I appreciate the insight, but my computer is not doing anything once it gets power and I'm just looking for some sort of reason why, or what part could be causing it so I can send it back to newegg before it's too late.

Yes, I don't know what the previous two repsonses were all about. Your computer is dead, I get that.

Make sure the CPU power connector is attached, that's a four-pin or 8-pin connector from the Power Supply that goes onto the motherboard near the CPU. Likewise ascertain that the PCI-E power connector is connected to the video card, if it needs one.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
You said you don't hear beeps. I recently put together a system for my dad, and saw that your PC case came with the same type of speaker that hooks up to the headers on the MB.

Are you sure you have it hooked up with the -/+ correctly?

I do remember hooking that up once by memory, but didn't recall any beep when it posted. Later on I saw I had it hooked up wrong, and it makes a chirp sound when it first boots up.

So I'm just describing the sound of it. I haven't actually hear it beep on problems.. yet :lol:

Side note * the system I built isn't the same MB though, but same speaker type.

Hiriath

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
Everything is connected properly. I have double, triple, and quadruple checked EVERY connection to every device I have attached. And still, nothing. All fans are running, HD spins, CPU gets warm, everything seems to do what it's supposed to. I feel like there's something fishy in the bios.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well, the only thing I'd recommend is to run the MB outside the PC case. That is usually the best starting point to TS problems.

Most major brand MB makers would advise running it outside the PC on cardboard.

GL with it, since you double, triple, quadroople your checks.

Edit:

That also means running it without the case button wires hooked up, knowing what jumpers to short with a small flathead screwdriver. (mimicking a button)

Remy

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
This may sound stupid but is the monitor working? Does it power up when you turn the comp on? Sometimes the power save auto on/off feature gets confused and just stays off, or it doesn't detect that it's been connected to the video card. If everything is connected you should atleast get a blinking cursor, even with a bad bios you should get a cursor or checksum error...unless the video card is bad, and I wouldn't think that would be it. Although, I had an ati 9700 that wouldn't do jack when you turned the comp on (no display) and only worked when you hit the reset switch for some reason, you might try that. If the monitor doesn't power on when you turn the comp on, turn all power off to the monitor and the comp and disconnect from video card, let it sit for a while then connect monitor to video card, then power to the comp, and last power to the monitor. May be way off base here but it sounds like the video card or monitor...the display is the only thing not working from what you've said and strangely enough, every once in a while the obvious is actually the problem.

Hiriath

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
Thanks, I'll try running everything outside of the case... if it works outside the case, does that just mean i need to rma the case and get a different one?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Not exactly, guess you could RMA the PC case, if the systems boots up fine out of it, but doesn't when you put it back in.

What your trying to figure out, is if the system works 1st of all.

What prevents a system from booting (in the PC case) can be possible faulty buttons (power/reset) or (hate to say it) they were hooked up incorrectly. Another thing is something could be shorting off the back of the MB on the PC case plate that it sits on, even though its should be on those standoff bolts.

Also it gives you a real good birds eye view on everything for you to look at to make sure everything is in place.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
If he mounted the board without the standoffs, he'd likely set the thing on fire. A friend of mine once managed to mount his motherboard without using the standoffs, and he saw smoke coming from the 12V cable...not the connection, the cable.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
:lol: . o O (gawd would that be a disappointing site)

Well, I wasn't intending in saying it shouldn't be on the standoffs. Just saying even on the standoffs you still could have a short, even though there shouldn't be. I recall seeing some people say that the solder points on the their MB were long enough to be close to the plate to cause problems.

Its just a good way to rule out shorts, faulty wires/switch/button, to get a good view of the HSF installation, and just to be sure the system works. Well, it should work out of the case. :D

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
When you power up, do the keyboard lights all flash once? If not, motherboard /CPU or PSU. That is a very cheap PSU, can you test with a known good 450W PSU. If you test with speaker connected and just motherboard, CPU & PSU, should give 'no memory' beep code. If not take it to local PC shop, they can test what broke, for a small fee, then you will know what to RMA.

Mike.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
As far as the bios is concerned, the time when the bios may prevent the system from booting:

1.) settings are incorrect, or OC or undervolt settings out of range (too high/low).
2.) incompatible CPU
3.) incompatible Ram
4.) video problem, should beep, but might not
5.) corrupted bios or bios chip is dead

Now I just noticed the kind of ram your using:

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

The only thing I'm bringing up is perhaps the voltage needed on the memory, which NewEgg shows 2.1 volts. Now I read somethings on voltage on ram that could prevent the system from posting, since the default settings on a MB for ram voltage would be 1.8 or 1.9 which may be too low for some (highend) ram and cause the system to stall or not post.

The trick some people did was to use 1 stick of ram that had a default of 1.8 volts to get it to post, go into the bios and set the voltage higher, power down and switch the ram. For them it worked.

Or sometimes if you use just one stick, it may post for you to get into the bios.

Not really sure what to recommend, since its hard to figure out the exact problem.

kind bud

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Hi, i just got a Apevia X-Discovery Computer Case and i changed the main power wires around in the female connecting part to hook it up to a certain motherboard and i now need to change it back to the way it came. if anyone has this case could you please send me a picture of that part so i can match the wires back up.