Decent Alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyleetexas

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Is there a commercial version of Linux that has a usable GUI? I'm pretty good at systems work but doing everything by command line is just plain dumb. It takes a lot of work to do even simple tasks in Linux, so if there is a viable competitor to Apple or MS in the Linux roster I would like to try it.

Debian, Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora are popular user friendly distributions. You have a wide selection of desktops like Gnome, KDE, Xfce, Openbox... etc

There really isnt a distro that has the fit and finish of OSX or windows 7, but what kind of tasks are you doing that require everything to be on command line? Or are you just basing that off of what youve 'heard'? Because it sounds like you havnt tried ANY distribution yet.

jimmyleetexas

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Actually, Skittle, (I like the red ones) I have dl'd and installed multiple releases of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, SLAX, PCLinux, OpenSUZE, and others. I'm an IT tech with Multiple OS's in my past. So, if, by your definition, I'm just being dumb, or picky, or even lazy, that's okay but my question is still a valid one. Just so you know, about 80% of my work is partition recovery/repair. It is not that I can't use a command line, it's just that too many good tools are available and supported by MS developers to consider using Linux for my everyday OS. It's just too 1969 to suit me. Unless one of you smart folks has friend-lied up the interface, it's just too much work before I can accomplish any paying work. I don't want to build an axle. I just want to mount a wheel and go.

So stick with Windows and stop trying to start flame wars.

jimmyleetexas

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

My, aren't we sensitive. I'm not trying to start anything. It was a simple (for most folks) question. I don't care what OS you like. My comments are just as valid as yours, especially when I'm not making accusations or being a jerk. My question was "Is there a commercial version of Linux with a viable GUI for users who do not wish to build their own tools anytime they need a new one?". If that causes you heartburn, take a few Tums.

Again, what tools are we talking about?! Most distributions have excellent package managers with GUI's to retrieve packages from online repositories. very rarely do you ever need to compile your own stuff.

By the way, your question does not make a lot of sense. You speak of linux GUI, but i believe you mean desktop, and like i said you have choices of Gnome/Xfce/openbox/KDE... any distribution can use any desktop.

So are you complaining about a lack of a good desktop? or lack of a tool[+GUI] you need? or dont want to compile from source every time?
All of those are available in pretty much every distro...

I don't think so. You got a perfectly good answer which you dismissed out of hand. It's a rather pathetic attempt at flaming.

It matters not to me if you're not up to using Gnome or KDE, which can be installed by the most naive users with no need for rebuilding, but you are clearly not interested in an answer to your "question".

No heartburn here. I'm, quite happy with my Linux, BSD, Windows, and OS X installations.

Status
Not open for further replies.