Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Decent Alternative?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Share
April 24, 2010 4:17:09 PM

Is there a commercial version of Linux that has a usable GUI? I'm pretty good at systems work but doing everything by command line is just plain dumb. It takes a lot of work to do even simple tasks in Linux, so if there is a viable competitor to Apple or MS in the Linux roster I would like to try it.

More about : decent alternative

a b 5 Linux
April 24, 2010 5:16:46 PM

Debian, Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora are popular user friendly distributions. You have a wide selection of desktops like Gnome, KDE, Xfce, Openbox... etc

There really isnt a distro that has the fit and finish of OSX or windows 7, but what kind of tasks are you doing that require everything to be on command line? Or are you just basing that off of what youve 'heard'? Because it sounds like you havnt tried ANY distribution yet.
Score
0
April 24, 2010 6:57:12 PM

Actually, Skittle, (I like the red ones) I have dl'd and installed multiple releases of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, SLAX, PCLinux, OpenSUZE, and others. I'm an IT tech with Multiple OS's in my past. So, if, by your definition, I'm just being dumb, or picky, or even lazy, that's okay but my question is still a valid one. Just so you know, about 80% of my work is partition recovery/repair. It is not that I can't use a command line, it's just that too many good tools are available and supported by MS developers to consider using Linux for my everyday OS. It's just too 1969 to suit me. Unless one of you smart folks has friend-lied up the interface, it's just too much work before I can accomplish any paying work. I don't want to build an axle. I just want to mount a wheel and go.
Score
0
Related resources
a b 5 Linux
April 24, 2010 8:37:59 PM

Im still unsure of what your requirements are... what can you do in windows/osx that is such a pain in linux? It sounds like a specific application problem, not a desktop functionality/os/linux problem...
Score
0
a b 5 Linux
April 24, 2010 8:39:58 PM

jimmyleetexas said:
Actually, Skittle, (I like the red ones) I have dl'd and installed multiple releases of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, SLAX, PCLinux, OpenSUZE, and others. I'm an IT tech with Multiple OS's in my past. So, if, by your definition, I'm just being dumb, or picky, or even lazy, that's okay but my question is still a valid one. Just so you know, about 80% of my work is partition recovery/repair. It is not that I can't use a command line, it's just that too many good tools are available and supported by MS developers to consider using Linux for my everyday OS. It's just too 1969 to suit me. Unless one of you smart folks has friend-lied up the interface, it's just too much work before I can accomplish any paying work. I don't want to build an axle. I just want to mount a wheel and go.

So stick with Windows and stop trying to start flame wars.
Score
0
April 24, 2010 9:01:56 PM

Ijack said:
So stick with Windows and stop trying to start flame wars.

My, aren't we sensitive. I'm not trying to start anything. It was a simple (for most folks) question. I don't care what OS you like. My comments are just as valid as yours, especially when I'm not making accusations or being a jerk. My question was "Is there a commercial version of Linux with a viable GUI for users who do not wish to build their own tools anytime they need a new one?". If that causes you heartburn, take a few Tums.
Score
0
a b 5 Linux
April 25, 2010 1:17:01 AM

Again, what tools are we talking about?! Most distributions have excellent package managers with GUI's to retrieve packages from online repositories. very rarely do you ever need to compile your own stuff.

By the way, your question does not make a lot of sense. You speak of linux GUI, but i believe you mean desktop, and like i said you have choices of Gnome/Xfce/openbox/KDE... any distribution can use any desktop.

So are you complaining about a lack of a good desktop? or lack of a tool[+GUI] you need? or dont want to compile from source every time?
All of those are available in pretty much every distro...
Score
0
a b 5 Linux
April 25, 2010 7:41:17 AM

jimmyleetexas said:
It was a simple (for most folks) question.

I don't think so. You got a perfectly good answer which you dismissed out of hand. It's a rather pathetic attempt at flaming.

It matters not to me if you're not up to using Gnome or KDE, which can be installed by the most naive users with no need for rebuilding, but you are clearly not interested in an answer to your "question".

No heartburn here. I'm, quite happy with my Linux, BSD, Windows, and OS X installations.
Score
0
April 25, 2010 4:56:58 PM

Guys please stay on topic,we want our questions to be answered not to start a flame war.
thanks
Score
0
a b 5 Linux
April 25, 2010 8:26:03 PM

Thank you Maziar.

I'm going to Lock this thread if that's ok.

If there's any objections please PM the mods.
Score
0
!