Disquieting temperature variations...?

SolitoN79

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Though I've been using my current mobo/CPU combo since Dec. 2006 without any failures or shutdowns, a recent change of my stock heatsink for a quieter one led me to probe system temperatures to ensure the CPU was alright, just routine you know...What I've noticed has me worried, though I'm not sure if I need be...

The motherboard temperature is at 48 degrees Celsius, and the CPU temp around 65 (under load). Even with no load, the mobo is still and 45, and the CPU near 60. The PCProbe software I got from my mobo manufacturer is sending me alerts non-stop -- the default threshold temperatures are set to 60 and 45 for the CPU and mobo respectively. Though I have *some* airflow through my case thanks to 2 exhaust fans and 2 intake fans, the temps are still too high according to the software...When I open my case and stick a regular house fan in front of it at max speed though, I see a TEN DEGREE drop in temperature on the mobo, and a FIFTEEN DEGREE one on the CPU...These are BIG variations...

So I guess what I'm asking is (1) are my components actually being damaged? (2) if they are, is it even possible to get case fans that can produce as much airflow as a 12" house fan stuck in front of an open case? and (3) could all this be due to an improperly installed heatsink?

Wish I had some temperature references from BEFORE I swapped the heatsink; then I would know whether the temps have always been this high, meaning that it's the low airflow inside the case that's the problem...If all this is a problem at all, that is...My mobo is a an ASUS P5VDC-MX and the CPU a Pentium D 820 2.8 GHz. The heatsink is ThermalTake Big Typhoon VX.

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
1) These temps should not be doing any damage, if your CPU exeeds 70C, I'm start worrying.

2) Stick you hand behind you case, next to the exhaust fas, can you feel any airflow? If not, you need to reevaluate your fan setup.

3) You should be able to change the setting in your monitor program to get rid of the annoying alarms.

BTW - What case are you using?

neokill3r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
It's definitely your case thats making the temps so high. You should try taking off the fans and cleaning them and the case next to where they where. Also, you want the intakes near the front and the outs near the back. Where do you have the in and out fans positioned?

65 isn't too bad so I wouldn't worry too much. If it ever gets too hot it will throttle down.

SolitoN79

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Hey. how you doin'?

It's a Nikao Zeus ATX case -- as far as I know, there shouldn't be any problem with the case itself, as the mobo and PSU are both designed for the ATX form factor... The exhaust fans are blowing out hot air just as they should be...

SolitoN79

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Thanks for the tips dude.

Yeah, the fans are clean and oriented properly. I've got two intakes on my case; one at the front at the bottom, and another on the roof of the case -- both have fans that are pulling air in. One exhaust fan is at the rear (above and to the right of the I/O panel), and the second is inside the PSU itself...

Seems to me that the intake fans are probably too weak -- thing is, 120 mm fans won't fit in this case, so I have no choice but to use 80 mm ones...I just bought some more powerful (80 mm) ones today and installed them, but the temps are STILL too high...CPU temp is ok, but the mobo temp only dropped like 1-2 degrees, which is annoying cause one of the fans is the Antec Spot Cooler; you screw it into one of your mobo mounting holes and turn it in whatever direction you want, like a snake-light. I've got it facing my chipset, but I think there isn't enough cold air being sucked into the case for it to draw on...I'm gonna try rearranging the fans -- my exhaust fan is the most powerful, so I'll try sticking it in the front or on top...If that doesn't work, then I guess I'll have to take that course on HVAC systems and become a certified technician first... :x