Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Ok, i was a WIN 98SE supporter, then ME supporter - i cringe when i say that, them XP pro supporter but now after building a new PC and trying out Vista Home Prem, Vista prem is the way to go. Very sim to XP and better int security - slightly :)

The main advantage is installation is so quick and easier, as long as you have SATA HD and Optic.

Games seem to run maybe 2 - 5 frames slower but so what.

This not a stupid flaming post but just a thought for those comtemplating XP or Vista.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

Ok, fare enough, but i bet within 2 years u will have vista even if support continues with XP which it will in my opinion for a good 5 years.

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
As a person who used Vista for the last 10 months and recently put xp back on, my advice. Stay with xp if you have it already. Sp3 is coming out soon and that will help make reinstalling xp easier, can anyone say over 200 mb's of updates since sp2? It's rediculous and Microsoft should be ashamed.

I mean if you have dial up and a fresh install of xp with sp2, god help you. It will literally take you days to install all those updates on dialup, yes im sure broadband is just not an option.

Vista, sure its pretty. But overall Vista is nothing more then the most popular programs and features everyeone else made for xp, done badly by microsoft themselves and put into vista.

Antispyware, calender, pictures, gadgets, aero.

all of these exist because of apple, google, linux etc. Every last one of those things can be downloaded for free for xp, you get a faster experience, better programs.

I didn't realize how bad I had it until i went back. Like being in a tunnel with a candle, it works. then you go out side and your like damn, that sucked.

I mean even directx 10 was a miserable failure, we still have patch tuesday every month for Vista. Drivers are still not all that mature. You can still get viruses. All that and you even get a slower os performance wise.

Can anyone please explain why you would get it? Other then it being free?

breetai

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

Recomending Vista is the equivialnt of being a used car salesman. It's basically WinME but prettier with a bigger disparity between the versions hardware requirements. There were lots of people who got WinME to work for them and swore by it and defended tooth and nail despite the fact it was clearly useless. Pretty much same with Vista.

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
ME was a head ache plain and simple. I remember it couldn't find the network shares, no matter what you did the majority of the time. It just didn't work.

I mean ME really was a it should be put back in the oven, and never taken out sort of os. But Microsoft made up for it by putting out xp. I mean as I recall, xp really was well received, and was a huge step up from 98, or ME.

5 years later here we are, with Vista. Xp's ugly baby step brother that is quite simply everything XP is not, that gets what he wants, (software and hardware venders having to redo everything that worked so well with development in xp.) Hardware that is 10 times greater as a minimum. Did you know xp's system requirements?

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

NOw look at vista's

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
* 1 GB of system memory
* 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:
o WDDM Driver
o 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
o Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
o 32 bits per pixel
* DVD-ROM drive
* Audio Output
* Internet access (fees may apply)

The more I think about it, the more I feel ill about Microsoft's business practices, yet they posted the greatest profit of their existance, with no where to go but up.

Let's hope and pray they get some real competition, or the pc industry (aka our modern lives in every way) will continue to suck ass.

The os pc industry is the only area in computers that doesn't have intense competition, that is where one company racks in over 90 percent of the doe, all by themselves. At over 90 percent market share, Microsoft will do well if the pc industry does well.

Lets put it this way, if Microsoft does badly on os sales, the industry is in big trouble because that means, every single oem building our there is in trouble. Microsoft sits at the top of a gigantic mountain, everyone else below it has to suffer big time before they will take a hit in any way.

The entire pc industry from to bottom should not be managed, told what to do and bullied by a single company. We all will regret the day the order to break up Microsoft into multiple os companies was overturned, all thanks to a stupid judge who didn't know how to keep his mouth shut.

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
i have XP on my main computer running Dragon Naturally
Speaking and Vista which has integrated the speech
recognition on a slightly faster computer.

i like the way Vista looks, with the 8600GT graphics
card, it is easier on my eyes. of course, it's a different
monitor, a different video card, so, hard to make a comparison
with 3 different variables changing.

i detest the file navigation on Vista, it has gotten more
complex. i notice i get stressed trying to find folders
& files on the Vista system, and a few times have
bailed from that system because i don't like to let a
computer stress me out. i go back to XP and it's
simple easy file navigation.

Vista is almost like a Meta-OS. if i took a class
and learned how to customize and turn off things
that run in the background, and maybe even make
the file navigation identical to XP, i would like it
more.

so some of my problems with Vista are operator
error, PEBCAK (problem exists between chair and
keyboard).

so i guess the fusion i would like is XP with a Vista
Skin and the Vista speech recognition functionality.
XP file navigation, XP control panel, etc.

i use MechBGon's security procedure.

http://www.mechbgon.com/build/security2.html

he says Vista is more secure, but i'm pretty sure his
security procedure in XP is plenty good enough.

breetai

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Funny I actually liked the new layout. I guess I just pick up on that kind of stuff easy. Getting it to not crash was a totally different issue whenever I hit the gas.

If it sat there idle I could go oooooo pretty interface.... If only I can't use it.

BTW thanks for the conversion... I just can't stop the spyware bells from going off in my head.

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I did a lot of research on that and tried it myself, I had no issues and its easilly removed.

It's incredible to me that a third party can put together an interface like that and have it work so well. No joke, the start menu vista is famous for, is in xp now if you use that, Same exact start menu, right down to the menu system and typing in the program you want in the search box instead of searching through to find it.

Not only that, but if you get windows blinds along with it, you can even get the aero interface with the see see through menus bars etc..

It even has the flip 3d effect.

Pretty amazing stuff,

breetai

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Oh well did anyone get this thing to work? Works about as well as vista for me (well it's not crashing at least.) But Everytime I bring up the start button it's get stuck as if constantly selected. If I then type something in with the transformation pack on it types it into the search bar on the start menu instead of the area I'm trying to type in and the start button menu bar never goes away.

Other than that it looks great. A much better working version of Vista. Can't use it but it's runs.

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Ah well, its not perfect. I think it really needs to be used with the windows blinds program which costs money to be a true transformation. it is neat though that a third party can do that good of a job.

I mean this just proves that if Microsoft wanted to, they could simply make XP pretty like Vista is as a free update or option. If a third party can do it less then a year out, why can't they? Really I am surprised the people that put that program out aren't being sued, I mean really it takes away what little reason there is to buy vista. You know the whole pretty interface thing.