Ubuntu and or Fedora 64 bit

Snowolf

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Ok i'm feed up with microsoft and am making the switch to linux ( ubuntu and or fedora ). But I am having trouble finding the 64 bit vertions. I know that they are out there becuse I have seen them somewhere. Ok now I'll cut to the chase. What i'm looking for is the link to the 64 bit vertion of these 2 os'es.

Snowolf

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Ok, my bad man. I did not understand that that was what it was.

Hunter844

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
To hijack this thread. Is there a place that has up to date information on hardware compatibility for Ubuntu or similar linux based operating systems?

Right now I have a Pentium D 920 processor LGA 775, 4 sticks of OCZ 1gb ram 1066, a couple SATA hard drives, a heatsink, and not much else...this computer had a mobo bite the dust a few weeks ago and since then I have built a new system using all new parts but in the interest of curiosity I would like to build a Linux desktop 64-bit. I may parlay this into some kind of file server in time. Right now my biggest hurdle seems to be finding a mobo that will not only take my processor but also take the ram and a linux system.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/
http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/

There's a couple I found on Google that look decent. Most hardware works just fine. :)

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Hunter844, I would just go to the distro's forums and search the 'hardware' section.

A lot of Linux distros are getting better at supporting more recent hardware although there is occasional delays which is understandable as developers are trying to reverse engineer for support in many cases. I guess it's a shorter wait for hardware that profess to have Linux support.

I think the *buntus and Fedora are good choices for getting feet wet but also because these distros are bleeding edge, too. There's a lot of changes but many devs are trying to get various hardware supported. I guess you could include OpenSUSE and maybe Mandriva in that mix, too.