Outlook Folders Disappear After IE7 Upgrade

iceisles

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Hey all - has anyone experienced a problem where the installation of IE7 causes Outlook Express folders to disappear? I have a friend whose personal folders (vacation, family, etc.) vanished after she upgraded to IE7. The default inbox, sent items, etc., are there, but she fears she has lost some valuable personal messages & data. I know MS is trying to introduce Live Mail, but Windows shouldn't have deleted these mail files during the upgrade, correct?

I suspect that these just need to be re-linked to outlook, possibly because the extensions or file locations have changed? Any insight you can provide would be tremendously helpful. Thanks so much.

Iceisles

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I believe the data base for Outlook Express uses a .dbx extension so you could do a search on her machine for *.dbx. I would copy them to a 2nd location because you don't want to take a chance of altering the original trying to open them.

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
wow, this is about as bad as microsoft's antivirus program deleting/quanrtining Microsoft outlook pst file because someone writing the virus definition forgot to say only delete the email, not the whole outlook database file.

As for how to recover, try doing a rollback on the system restore before ie7 was installed. start menu-allprograms - accessories - system tools - system restore.

It should of saved before it installed ie7. HOpefully that works, if a search for the file doesnt' show up, you may be sol.

Hope that works.