Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows DNS Error with Vista

Last response: in Toms Network
December 12, 2007 4:48:26 PM

Hello,

I just received a new Laptop with Vista Business Edition and when I try to connect it to our domain (Windows 2000 Server Standard SP4) I receive this error:

"An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has
failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that
can resolve DNS names in the target domain."

I've tried adding the computer name to the Active Directory, to the DNS Forwarding list, switching between versions 4 and 6 of TCP/IP, trying different computer names, making sure all windows updates are done and now I'm at my wits end. I'm actually on hold with Dell tech support right now to find a solution but I've been on hold a while now.

Has anyone come across a fix for this?

Thank you.
December 12, 2007 5:58:34 PM

I found a fix. I just had to simply change the Network Properties setting the TCP/IP on my laptop from "Obtain DNS server address automatically" to specifying the server address in the DNS. The joined the domain no problem.
January 26, 2008 12:29:26 AM

Sounds like you didn't have dhcp in your environment, therefore you needed to hard-code a dns IP. Glad you got it resolved.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 1, 2008 10:54:08 PM

Most definately. Got yourself out of a bind.
September 2, 2008 12:06:22 PM

You can assign Global DNS

preferred DNS:4.2.2.2
Alternate DNS:4.2.2.1
September 2, 2008 5:16:25 PM

Hello, I have the same issue, which I'm trying to connect my wireless laptop with xp to my desktop running vista. I can see the Laptop (running xp) on the the vista but everytime I try to access to vista something comes out the DNS. I cannot see the vista on my xp, I changed the settings on the xp NFS or whatever, restart, same.
Suggestions please.
thanks,
!