Help with remote desktop connection w/router

sterfry1988

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Hi i have been messing around with this forever and i cant seem to get it to work. I have 2 computers. One desktop with windows XP pro installed and one lap top with XP home edition. I currently have my computers networked so they can share files and print from the same printer. I have my computers networked through a NETGEAR WGR614v8 router. currently i do not have my router set up to use static IP's mainly because i have not done it for awhile and i have forgot. Basically i tried setting up Remote desktop connection on my Desktop(xp pro) i did so by going into my computer enabling remote desktop connection and from what i understood at the time that is all i had to do. As this did not worked i researched it further into see why it was not working. While i was reading i noticed that many people said that if you are using a router you have to forward certain ports. I know that by enabling RDC it automatically opens up port 3389. My question is then is that i am running into problems connecting. I can connect to my router remotely but i can not connect to my computer. Any and all help would be appreciated.