Sign in with
Your question

Help with remote desktop connection w/router

Last response: in Windows XP
January 30, 2008 3:17:42 PM

Hi i have been messing around with this forever and i cant seem to get it to work. I have 2 computers. One desktop with windows XP pro installed and one lap top with XP home edition. I currently have my computers networked so they can share files and print from the same printer. I have my computers networked through a NETGEAR WGR614v8 router. currently i do not have my router set up to use static IP's mainly because i have not done it for awhile and i have forgot. Basically i tried setting up Remote desktop connection on my Desktop(xp pro) i did so by going into my computer enabling remote desktop connection and from what i understood at the time that is all i had to do. As this did not worked i researched it further into see why it was not working. While i was reading i noticed that many people said that if you are using a router you have to forward certain ports. I know that by enabling RDC it automatically opens up port 3389. My question is then is that i am running into problems connecting. I can connect to my router remotely but i can not connect to my computer. Any and all help would be appreciated.
January 30, 2008 4:32:19 PM

http://www.geek.com/your-desktop-on-the-go-remote-desktop/

check this. You need to forward that port, 3389, to the correct IP address for the computer you want to remote into. This is where static IPs come in. When connecting you will put in your ISP issued IP followed by ':3389' - without the '.

Also make sure that you can use RDC within your network also.
!