jagnet

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Hey all,

So I just finally after hours and hours of searching for drivers (and then realizing that the ones on the Toshiba website would work anyway) I finally got Vista OFF of my laptop and successfully installed XP PRO SP2 (after some slipstreaming of the Windows XP Pro install disc) and everything works perfectly! :) The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A200 - FS2.

Rough Specs are as follows:

Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU @ 1.6GHZ
2GB DDR2- 667mhz ram (1GB x 2)
160 GB SATA2 5400rpm
Super Multi DVD Burner
Firewire port
4- USB 2.0 ports
15.4inch display
etc.

Now my question is this, howcome when I open the "properties" on "My Computer" it says under the "Computer" description..

Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2330 @ 1.60 GHZ
797mhz, 1.99GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension.

What I'm wondering about it the "797mhz" part, why does it say that!? I was always under the impression that this is the speed your cpu is running at.. so why if I have a dual core cpu @ 1.60GHZ is it saying it's only running @ 797mhz?? The laptop is plugged in, battery fully charged, according to device manager everything has the proper drivers installed and everything is working right.. and when I ran the "dxdiag.exe" tool IT said the CPU's were running @ 1.60GHZ like it should say.. Hence why I'm stumped about this..

Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance!

-Jagnet

jagnet

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Ok... even more weird, literally right after I posted this, I opened the "properties" windows again on "My Computer" and now it says:

Computer:
Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2330 @ 1.60GHZ
1.60GHZ, 1.99GB of Ram
Physical Address extension

So now it's displaying correctly as far as I know, but why would it have been reading "797mhz" before!?!? Just a glitch within Windows maybe???

-Thanks again in advance for any help!

-Jagnet

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Im assuming that you didnt overclock the bus?
The specs I just read says 667mhz so 797mhz isnt to far out there
When you pulled up the properties was it right after the install and possibly finishing up some processes? I dont no of any reason it would do that but thats all I got.
It would see that you can overclock it to that range if you want though.
BTW it looks like a pretty good setup.

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Your laptop runs power saving features. Only when your computer is actually being used does it speed up to full clock.

If you get an application called cpuid, do a google search on it. It will show you exactly what your computer is running at at any given time. You will see it jumping around. This is a way to improve battery life and make the laptop run cooler.

Hope this helps.

This is called Intel Speedstep, among other

jagnet

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Thank you very much for the advice guys! Extremely helpful, and makes way more sense now that it's been explained to me, I notice now that right after Windows XP boots up it's running at 797mhz but once I start using it it boosts up to the full 1.60ghz.

-Thanks
Jagnet

jagnet

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Yeah not too bad of a setup considering it's an $1100.00 laptop after taxes (futureshop.ca) and I got it on sale for $790.00 after taxes! In my opinion very worth the money spent on it! :) Especially now that I have the curse that is Windows Vista Home Premium (which in my opinion is just a pretty version of Windows ME, lol) off of it! Windows Xp PRO SP2 is a much nicer OS all around I think.

-Jagnet