Ready Mentally and Physically- Help me out

eka42

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
After heated moral battles and months of research, I've finally decided to over clock my e6420 to 2.4 GHz. To some it might sound silly, but I bought this computer with sweat and blood and it is the only thing going for me right now. I have ready Wusy's guide over and over, and countless other threads, but all of them go for the "big" overclocks. I want to know, step by step, what to do, how to do it and why. PLEASE. I have a 965P-ds3 Mobo rev 3.3 Bios f10 i think. OCZ platinum xtc 2x512 DDr2-800 memory. Sapphire x1950 XT, and 36 Amperes on my PSU. Step by step, can someone, anyone help me out. I know i sound like a noob but i was really confused on how to adjust memory timings, and how to put things on atuo, and how to make sure i dont put 2.7 volts on my ram...lol. Anyone help a brother out!. I can provide all the info yall need about my comp so just ask away

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
After heated moral battles and months of research, I've finally decided to over clock my e6420 to 2.4 GHz. To some it might sound silly, but I bought this computer with sweat and blood and it is the only thing going for me right now. I have ready Wusy's guide over and over, and countless other threads, but all of them go for the "big" overclocks. I want to know, step by step, what to do, how to do it and why. PLEASE. I have a 965P-ds3 Mobo rev 3.3 Bios f10 i think. OCZ platinum xtc 2x512 DDr2-800 memory. Sapphire x1950 XT, and 36 Amperes on my PSU. Step by step, can someone, anyone help me out. I know i sound like a noob but i was really confused on how to adjust memory timings, and how to put things on atuo, and how to make sure i dont put 2.7 volts on my ram...lol. Anyone help a brother out!. I can provide all the info yall need about my comp so just ask away
lolz.. you may need to be physically and mentally ready to OC Pentium III or something like that... but for Core 2, all you need to have is... your processor, a MB, some RAM, and.. nothing more.

i don't know how Gigabyte's BIOS works, but you should be able to hold all of the voltages @ stock(NB, RAM, CPU, PCI-E....). Once you do that, simply increase FSB to 1333 (333 CPU base frequency), then.. voila~ you have an E6420 @ 2.6Ghz. No exotic cooler, no professional skill, and no sweat is needed.

good luck on that. if you have anymore question, you can PM me.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Listen to viperabyss. I overclocked my CPU using ink from a pen! Now that's risky. (Quick side note, not an average pen, more like a tube with a pen sized opening that pushes out a liquid containing a bunch of metal to create an electrical trace.) :lol:

For your RAM, start out by setting it to 1:1 if you can, if not, then set it to 667mhz. For the timings at that level, set them to 5-5-5-12. For your CPU, not really sure. Only ever had one motherboard that allowed me to play with CPU settings, and that thing had !!!!CPU AREA!!! or something like that. It let me play around with the multiplier, front side bus, and voltages. When you do your overclock, don't touch anything that talks about volts, and you should be fine.

Don't worry, relax, learn where your CMOS jumper is, and all will be well.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
For what I did in OC my dad's MSI/E4300 to 2.4 ghz, I took my time, perhaps too much to get it stable. I guess I like to test the water first. :lol: . o O(is it too hot or too cold?)

But, it really is pretty simple. I'd recommend making sure your Ram voltage is at 2.1 volts at least. I got stock voltage on everything but the Ram. I even get the jitters thinking of pushing it more.. but na, it's my dads setup. He doesn't need to have it run faster then that. :lol:

The other thing you might want to try be sure of is the temps. Perhaps try it at 2 - 2.2 ghz to see if your temps are reasonable.

Edit: doh.. I thought it was E6320 :lol:. o O(forget about the 2 - 2.2 comment)