Any reason *not* to reinstall? Please chime in

rawjhaw

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I received a new rig that I pieced together through a PC integrator the other day. All is great, stable and sound. The only disappointment I have is that I can't personalize the name of the main Admin user folder(s)/extensions (found under Documents & Settings) that the integrator used when installing XP Pro before sending it to me. I did figure out how to change the 'Registered User' name, but it's annoying me to see {insert undesirable account name here} as the original Admin user profile name (i.e. the folder name listed in the "address" field of Windows Explorer when exploring C:\Documents & Settings\********\etc)

First, is it "worth it" to do this? Would this require a total reformat/fresh install of XP (and all the drivers) OR would an upgrade install do the trick here? All I've loaded on my OS so far are burn-in/bench test apps. - I do have an unopened XP Pro CD/key (oem) ... How long of a process would it be to wipe my current HD (320gb) and do a fresh install?

rawjhaw

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
No, sir. You can't rename or delete the original admin account used when you first install Windows (nor the Windows folder). But even with the new Admin account I created when I booted up for the first time, it still shows the name of the orig registered name in certain places.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
How long it would take would depend on whether or not you did all the Windows updates. If you haven't done the updates, probably an hour or so. If it bothers you that much, I do it know. If you install all your programs, obviously it'll take you a lot longer. May as well have it the way you want it upfront

G

Why don't rename the account back to the original name, create a new account with the correct name, logout as Admin, login as the new account and delete the Admin account?

Grumpy