xp drive number allocation

May 14, 2005 4:17:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi,

I have 2 drives.
A Seagate 120GB is connected to SATA 1. It contains the XP OS and under disk
management is listed as Drive 0.
A Seagate 400GB is connected to SATA 2. It has three partitions and is
listed as Drive 1.

Now when I connect a 3rd drive, a Maxtor 160GB to SATA 3 it is listed as
Drive 0, and the other 2 move to Drive 1 and 2.

The drive letters don't change around or anything, but is this normal? I'm a
bit concerned that the boot drive is no longer Drive 0.

Thanks,

Dave Cockram
May 14, 2005 4:17:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I am not familiar with SATA controllers but this does not sound right. I
have seen a similar behaviour with HARD drive/ZIP drive combinations where
the ZIP drive became Drive 0 but only during initial install. This is a know
problem for ZIP drive users and the solution was to unplug the ZIP during
instalation.
In your case, are you saying that you had a running version of XP OS and you
simplu added this third drive and rebooted and it became Drive 0?
If this drive is in fact seen by the Bios as the first drive then this drive
will have to hold the MBR

--
Pavel

"David Cockram" <david.cockram@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 drives.
> A Seagate 120GB is connected to SATA 1. It contains the XP OS and under
> disk management is listed as Drive 0.
> A Seagate 400GB is connected to SATA 2. It has three partitions and is
> listed as Drive 1.
>
> Now when I connect a 3rd drive, a Maxtor 160GB to SATA 3 it is listed as
> Drive 0, and the other 2 move to Drive 1 and 2.
>
> The drive letters don't change around or anything, but is this normal? I'm
> a bit concerned that the boot drive is no longer Drive 0.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave Cockram

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 4:17:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Chk the motherboard SATA connectors,each are listed as #1,2,3,4 Whatever
drive gets connected to either of them,thats how it will show in xp.Leave
as is,
youre boot drive is determined in the BIOS,device priority or similiar.

"David Cockram" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have 2 drives.
> A Seagate 120GB is connected to SATA 1. It contains the XP OS and under disk
> management is listed as Drive 0.
> A Seagate 400GB is connected to SATA 2. It has three partitions and is
> listed as Drive 1.
>
> Now when I connect a 3rd drive, a Maxtor 160GB to SATA 3 it is listed as
> Drive 0, and the other 2 move to Drive 1 and 2.
>
> The drive letters don't change around or anything, but is this normal? I'm a
> bit concerned that the boot drive is no longer Drive 0.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave Cockram

May 14, 2005 2:50:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

It's actually slightly more complicated than that.

During my installation of XP, the Seagate 120GB boot drive has always been
on SATA 1, Drive 0 but I had the Maxtor plugged into SATA 2 and this
registered as Drive 1. All logical so far.

I then got back my 400GB from Seagate yesterday after a previous drive
failure. This is to be be my second drive so I replaced the Max with this
Seagate, but I also moved the Max to SATA 3, as documented below, and I'm
using that for backups.

I was expecting the drive allocations to follow the BIOS. I figured a remote
possibility may be that the Max continued to be registered as Drive 1 as it
was previously, but I'm puzzled as to why it has decided to become top of
the pile. I tried deleting HKLM\system\mounteddevices but it didn't make any
difference. With the Maxtor removed there are still loads of references to
it in the registry but I'm reluctant to go deleting them all without being
sure I'm not going to screw something up.

At this stage nothing appears to be affected and I can boot normally (I'm
using BootIT NG). It just doesn't seem right somehow.

Dave

"Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am not familiar with SATA controllers but this does not sound right. I
>have seen a similar behaviour with HARD drive/ZIP drive combinations where
>the ZIP drive became Drive 0 but only during initial install. This is a
>know problem for ZIP drive users and the solution was to unplug the ZIP
>during instalation.
> In your case, are you saying that you had a running version of XP OS and
> you simplu added this third drive and rebooted and it became Drive 0?
> If this drive is in fact seen by the Bios as the first drive then this
> drive will have to hold the MBR
>
> --
> Pavel
>

> "David Cockram" <david.cockram@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have 2 drives.
>> A Seagate 120GB is connected to SATA 1. It contains the XP OS and under
>> disk management is listed as Drive 0.
>> A Seagate 400GB is connected to SATA 2. It has three partitions and is
>> listed as Drive 1.
>>
>> Now when I connect a 3rd drive, a Maxtor 160GB to SATA 3 it is listed as
>> Drive 0, and the other 2 move to Drive 1 and 2.
>>
>> The drive letters don't change around or anything, but is this normal?
>> I'm a bit concerned that the boot drive is no longer Drive 0.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dave Cockram

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 10:15:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Then plot thickens. . .

I just did a fresh XP install using BootIt NG, and I have exactly the same
arrangement.

In the BIOS the drives are SATA 1 Seagate 120 (boot), SATA 2 Seagate 400,
SATA 3 Maxtor.

But in XP disk management they are Maxtor (Drive 0), Seagate 120 (Drive 1)
and Seagate 400 (Drive 2).

I'm really puzzled now. I was convinced it would all be correct on a new
install.

And does it actually matter. It certainly seems ok at the moment.

Any ideas anyone?

Dave

> It's actually slightly more complicated than that.
>
> During my installation of XP, the Seagate 120GB boot drive has always
> been on SATA 1, Drive 0 but I had the Maxtor plugged into SATA 2 and this
> registered as Drive 1. All logical so far.
>
> I then got back my 400GB from Seagate yesterday after a previous drive
> failure. This is to be be my second drive so I replaced the Max with this
> Seagate, but I also moved the Max to SATA 3, as documented below, and I'm
> using that for backups.
>
> I was expecting the drive allocations to follow the BIOS. I figured a
> remote possibility may be that the Max continued to be registered as Drive
> 1 as it was previously, but I'm puzzled as to why it has decided to become
> top of the pile. I tried deleting HKLM\system\mounteddevices but it didn't
> make any difference. With the Maxtor removed there are still loads of
> references to it in the registry but I'm reluctant to go deleting them all
> without being sure I'm not going to screw something up.
>
> At this stage nothing appears to be affected and I can boot normally (I'm
> using BootIT NG). It just doesn't seem right somehow.
>
> Dave
>
> "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am not familiar with SATA controllers but this does not sound right. I
>>have seen a similar behaviour with HARD drive/ZIP drive combinations where
>>the ZIP drive became Drive 0 but only during initial install. This is a
>>know problem for ZIP drive users and the solution was to unplug the ZIP
>>during instalation.
>> In your case, are you saying that you had a running version of XP OS and
>> you simplu added this third drive and rebooted and it became Drive 0?
>> If this drive is in fact seen by the Bios as the first drive then this
>> drive will have to hold the MBR
>>
>> --
>> Pavel
>>

>> "David Cockram" <david.cockram@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have 2 drives.
>>> A Seagate 120GB is connected to SATA 1. It contains the XP OS and under
>>> disk management is listed as Drive 0.
>>> A Seagate 400GB is connected to SATA 2. It has three partitions and is
>>> listed as Drive 1.
>>>
>>> Now when I connect a 3rd drive, a Maxtor 160GB to SATA 3 it is listed as
>>> Drive 0, and the other 2 move to Drive 1 and 2.
>>>
>>> The drive letters don't change around or anything, but is this normal?
>>> I'm a bit concerned that the boot drive is no longer Drive 0.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Dave Cockram

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 7:19:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Your BIOS changes the order for the operating system . Look at boot order.

"David Cockram" <david.cockram@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message news:42863242$0$291$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> Then plot thickens. . .
>
> I just did a fresh XP install using BootIt NG, and I have exactly the same
> arrangement.
>
> In the BIOS the drives are SATA 1 Seagate 120 (boot), SATA 2 Seagate 400,
> SATA 3 Maxtor.
>
> But in XP disk management they are Maxtor (Drive 0), Seagate 120 (Drive 1)
> and Seagate 400 (Drive 2).
>
> I'm really puzzled now. I was convinced it would all be correct on a new
> install.
>
> And does it actually matter. It certainly seems ok at the moment.
>
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> Dave
>

> "David Cockram" <david.cockram@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> It's actually slightly more complicated than that.
>>
>> During my installation of XP, the Seagate 120GB boot drive has always
>> been on SATA 1, Drive 0 but I had the Maxtor plugged into SATA 2 and this
>> registered as Drive 1. All logical so far.
>>
>> I then got back my 400GB from Seagate yesterday after a previous drive
>> failure. This is to be be my second drive so I replaced the Max with this
>> Seagate, but I also moved the Max to SATA 3, as documented below, and I'm
>> using that for backups.
>>
>> I was expecting the drive allocations to follow the BIOS. I figured a
>> remote possibility may be that the Max continued to be registered as Drive
>> 1 as it was previously, but I'm puzzled as to why it has decided to become
>> top of the pile. I tried deleting HKLM\system\mounteddevices but it didn't
>> make any difference. With the Maxtor removed there are still loads of
>> references to it in the registry but I'm reluctant to go deleting them all
>> without being sure I'm not going to screw something up.
>>
>> At this stage nothing appears to be affected and I can boot normally (I'm
>> using BootIT NG). It just doesn't seem right somehow.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I am not familiar with SATA controllers but this does not sound right. I
>>>have seen a similar behaviour with HARD drive/ZIP drive combinations where
>>>the ZIP drive became Drive 0 but only during initial install. This is a
>>>know problem for ZIP drive users and the solution was to unplug the ZIP
>>>during instalation.
>>> In your case, are you saying that you had a running version of XP OS and
>>> you simplu added this third drive and rebooted and it became Drive 0?
>>> If this drive is in fact seen by the Bios as the first drive then this
>>> drive will have to hold the MBR
>>>
>>> --
>>> Pavel
>>>

>>> "David Cockram" <david.cockram@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 7:19:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

No that's not it. All drives are listed in correct SATA order. It's a
Phoenix Award BIOS on a ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe MoBo and you can't specify
individual SATA boot order. My device boot order is Floppy/CDRom/HDD.

Dave

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Your BIOS changes the order for the operating system . Look at boot order.

"David Cockram" <david.cockram@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Then plot thickens. . .
>
> I just did a fresh XP install using BootIt NG, and I have exactly the same
> arrangement.
>
> In the BIOS the drives are SATA 1 Seagate 120 (boot), SATA 2 Seagate 400,
> SATA 3 Maxtor.
>
> But in XP disk management they are Maxtor (Drive 0), Seagate 120 (Drive 1)
> and Seagate 400 (Drive 2).
>
> I'm really puzzled now. I was convinced it would all be correct on a new
> install.
>
> And does it actually matter. It certainly seems ok at the moment.
>
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> Dave
>

> "David Cockram" <david.cockram@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> It's actually slightly more complicated than that.
>>
>> During my installation of XP, the Seagate 120GB boot drive has always
>> been on SATA 1, Drive 0 but I had the Maxtor plugged into SATA 2 and this
>> registered as Drive 1. All logical so far.
>>
>> I then got back my 400GB from Seagate yesterday after a previous drive
>> failure. This is to be be my second drive so I replaced the Max with this
>> Seagate, but I also moved the Max to SATA 3, as documented below, and I'm
>> using that for backups.
>>
>> I was expecting the drive allocations to follow the BIOS. I figured a
>> remote possibility may be that the Max continued to be registered as
>> Drive
>> 1 as it was previously, but I'm puzzled as to why it has decided to
>> become
>> top of the pile. I tried deleting HKLM\system\mounteddevices but it
>> didn't
>> make any difference. With the Maxtor removed there are still loads of
>> references to it in the registry but I'm reluctant to go deleting them
>> all
>> without being sure I'm not going to screw something up.
>>
>> At this stage nothing appears to be affected and I can boot normally (I'm
>> using BootIT NG). It just doesn't seem right somehow.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I am not familiar with SATA controllers but this does not sound right. I
>>>have seen a similar behaviour with HARD drive/ZIP drive combinations
>>>where
>>>the ZIP drive became Drive 0 but only during initial install. This is a
>>>know problem for ZIP drive users and the solution was to unplug the ZIP
>>>during instalation.
>>> In your case, are you saying that you had a running version of XP OS and
>>> you simplu added this third drive and rebooted and it became Drive 0?
>>> If this drive is in fact seen by the Bios as the first drive then this
>>> drive will have to hold the MBR
>>>
>>> --
>>> Pavel
>>>

>>> "David Cockram" <david.cockram@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

May 15, 2005 7:19:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

This may be a shot in dark but try to clear the CMOS (jumper on mobo or
remove battery from mobo for few minutes) and then check again. Using the
"set bios to default" may not be enough.
Also, some motherboards have a bios settings for multiple HD's and their
order in addition to the usual floppy,CD-R,HD which I think yours does also.
I use Gigabyte mobo and I can make my USB pendrive in to Drive 0 simply by
setting the software.

--

> No that's not it. All drives are listed in correct SATA order. It's a
> Phoenix Award BIOS on a ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe MoBo and you can't specify
> individual SATA boot order. My device boot order is Floppy/CDRom/HDD.
>
> Dave
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Your BIOS changes the order for the operating system . Look at boot order.

> "David Cockram" <david.cockram@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> Then plot thickens. . .
>>
>> I just did a fresh XP install using BootIt NG, and I have exactly the
>> same
>> arrangement.
>>
>> In the BIOS the drives are SATA 1 Seagate 120 (boot), SATA 2 Seagate 400,
>> SATA 3 Maxtor.
>>
>> But in XP disk management they are Maxtor (Drive 0), Seagate 120 (Drive
>> 1)
>> and Seagate 400 (Drive 2).
>>
>> I'm really puzzled now. I was convinced it would all be correct on a new
>> install.
>>
>> And does it actually matter. It certainly seems ok at the moment.
>>
>> Any ideas anyone?
>>
>> Dave
>>

>> "David Cockram" <david.cockram@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>>> It's actually slightly more complicated than that.
>>>
>>> During my installation of XP, the Seagate 120GB boot drive has always
>>> been on SATA 1, Drive 0 but I had the Maxtor plugged into SATA 2 and
>>> this
>>> registered as Drive 1. All logical so far.
>>>
>>> I then got back my 400GB from Seagate yesterday after a previous drive
>>> failure. This is to be be my second drive so I replaced the Max with
>>> this
>>> Seagate, but I also moved the Max to SATA 3, as documented below, and
>>> I'm
>>> using that for backups.
>>>
>>> I was expecting the drive allocations to follow the BIOS. I figured a
>>> remote possibility may be that the Max continued to be registered as
>>> Drive
>>> 1 as it was previously, but I'm puzzled as to why it has decided to
>>> become
>>> top of the pile. I tried deleting HKLM\system\mounteddevices but it
>>> didn't
>>> make any difference. With the Maxtor removed there are still loads of
>>> references to it in the registry but I'm reluctant to go deleting them
>>> all
>>> without being sure I'm not going to screw something up.
>>>
>>> At this stage nothing appears to be affected and I can boot normally
>>> (I'm
>>> using BootIT NG). It just doesn't seem right somehow.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>
>>> "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 7:19:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

It was certainly worth a try. There happened to be a new BIOS update
available, so I flashed that. It then resets to default values, but when I
reconfigured it was exactly the same.

> This may be a shot in dark but try to clear the CMOS (jumper on mobo or
> remove battery from mobo for few minutes) and then check again. Using the
> "set bios to default" may not be enough.
> Also, some motherboards have a bios settings for multiple HD's and their
> order in addition to the usual floppy,CD-R,HD which I think yours does
> also. I use Gigabyte mobo and I can make my USB pendrive in to Drive 0
> simply by setting the software.
>
> --
> Pavel
>

> "David Cockram" <david.cockram@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> No that's not it. All drives are listed in correct SATA order. It's a
>> Phoenix Award BIOS on a ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe MoBo and you can't specify
>> individual SATA boot order. My device boot order is Floppy/CDRom/HDD.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>> Your BIOS changes the order for the operating system . Look at boot
>> order.
>>
>> --
>>
>> "David Cockram" <david.cockram@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>>> Then plot thickens. . .
>>>
>>> I just did a fresh XP install using BootIt NG, and I have exactly the
>>> same
>>> arrangement.
>>>
>>> In the BIOS the drives are SATA 1 Seagate 120 (boot), SATA 2 Seagate
>>> 400,
>>> SATA 3 Maxtor.
>>>
>>> But in XP disk management they are Maxtor (Drive 0), Seagate 120 (Drive
>>> 1)
>>> and Seagate 400 (Drive 2).
>>>
>>> I'm really puzzled now. I was convinced it would all be correct on a new
>>> install.
>>>
>>> And does it actually matter. It certainly seems ok at the moment.
>>>
>>> Any ideas anyone?
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>>> "David Cockram" <david.cockram@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

May 15, 2005 7:19:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

What happens when you switch the drives around? Move the SATA 3 to SATA 1
and see what happens.

--

!