vista home premium, 6 gigs ram, enable pae mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynegrauel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I've had a hard time - Gateway sells a computer that is advertised expandable to 8 gigs..
its a Quad Core Duo

I have six gigs installed, my bios sees six, os sees 3.4

after gateway telling me i need to order gateway ram.. yeah right!... kensington turned me onto the need to edit my BCD (BCDEDIT)

So.. according to what i read,

I've done this...

BCDedit/set nx alwaysoff (enable DEP mode)

BCDedit/set pae forceEnable

Well, my OS (window that opens on startup still indicates 3.2 gigs of ram.

Am i missing something, or is the ram available but just not "listed" in that window that starts with Vista.

Just started Vista so excuse my ignorance.

The reason for all of this was video and animation

Solution
In 32 bit Windows operating systems, the total addressable space available is 4GB. If you installed total 4GB memory, the system will detect less than 4GB of total memory because of address space allocation for other critical functions, such as:

- System BIOS (including motherboard, add-on cards, etc..)
- Motherboards resources
- Memory mapped I/O
- Configuration for AGP/PCI-Ex/PCI
- Other memory allocations for PCI devices

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result of different total memory size. e.g. more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses.

This limitation applies to most chipsets & Windows XP/Vista 32-bit version operating systems...
In 32 bit Windows operating systems, the total addressable space available is 4GB. If you installed total 4GB memory, the system will detect less than 4GB of total memory because of address space allocation for other critical functions, such as:

- System BIOS (including motherboard, add-on cards, etc..)
- Motherboards resources
- Memory mapped I/O
- Configuration for AGP/PCI-Ex/PCI
- Other memory allocations for PCI devices

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result of different total memory size. e.g. more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses.

This limitation applies to most chipsets & Windows XP/Vista 32-bit version operating systems.

If you install a Windows operating system, if more than 3GB memory is required for your system, then the below conditions should be met:

1. The memory controller which supports memory swap functionality is used. The latest chipsets like Intel 975X, 955X, Nvidia NF4 SLI Intel Edition, Nvidia NF4 SLI X16, AMD K8 and newer architectures can support the memory swap function.

2. Windows XP Pro X64 Ed. (64-bit), Windows Vista 64, or other OS which can address more than 4GB memory.

Note: According to the latest Change Log published my Microsoft, Windows Vista 32bit SP1 will display the installed amount of RAM. This is a display change only.

Solution

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Are you using a 32bits Windows?

That why there is now XP64 and Vista64. I checked quickly Gateway' Site and look like they are selling only the 32bits version. Its like Dell.

And worse, it an OEM version so no upgrade to 64 possible :pt1cable: ... Man, that's crap! :pfff:

Status
Not open for further replies.