Live CD logon problems, UNR 10.04

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I've recently made a live cd of Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04, and for some reason whenever I boot off of the disc it asks me to log in with a username and password. I've never seen a live cd do this and I don't have a username or password for it (since I just downloaded it and installed it on the drive with UNetBootin). Is there a password that I'm unaware of or is there something wrong with the init file? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mavanhel

Solution
There's no password on most major live cd distros it's just empty. Just about all of them log you in automatically, maybe there's something fishy going on with this one.

Have you verified all the checksums and digital sigs?

Usually it'll boot up, launch gnome or kde, log you in automatically and drop you into a gnome or kde desktop where you'll be able to click Applications==>Accessories==>Terminal inside the terminal sudo su - <enter> will su to root there's no password it's empty / unset.

If you install from the live cd to your hard drive you'll need to set a user password during the installation process this pass is treated as the admin pass and after you've installed in you can go to Applications==>Accessories==>Terminal sudo su...

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Ubuntu has a built-in (mangled) default root password, you might need to change it prior to creating the image;

Haven't touched "Buntu" for a while, from what I remember...
at a Shell prompt, run "sudo su" then "passwd" and enter the new password...

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

Does the "sudo su" command not require the admin password? :??:

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I've tried various combinations of 'root'/'user'/'ubuntu' etc. for password and username, but still nothing worked. Also, I can't get into a shell since I'm not actually able to get past the logon screen. I've asked many of my friends and professors and they all have no idea what's going on. Maybe time to try a new distro (again) or try to redownload the file.

linux_0

Splendid
There's no password on most major live cd distros it's just empty. Just about all of them log you in automatically, maybe there's something fishy going on with this one.

Have you verified all the checksums and digital sigs?

Usually it'll boot up, launch gnome or kde, log you in automatically and drop you into a gnome or kde desktop where you'll be able to click Applications==>Accessories==>Terminal inside the terminal sudo su - <enter> will su to root there's no password it's empty / unset.

If you install from the live cd to your hard drive you'll need to set a user password during the installation process this pass is treated as the admin pass and after you've installed in you can go to Applications==>Accessories==>Terminal sudo su - <enter> and enter your user password at the prompt, it's not going to appear as you type it.

Ubuntu10.04Beta2.png

Kubuntu-10.04-desktop.png

Good luck :)

Solution