Sign in with
Your question

To update my processor or not?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 14, 2007 5:08:20 AM

My rig was before AM2's barely, I just couldn't wait. Still I love my PC I built 100x fold.

So I was wondering the following: Is overclocking hard? My computer runs at 29- 30cs while heavy use. Is it safe to overclock and how high can I plan on going. Is the difference going to be noticeable? What's the safe temp to go to/speed?

I have a
Opteron 165
antec truepower 2.0 550w
OCZ platinum 2 GB ram 2-3-2-5
WD Sata 2.0 hardrive - WD2500KS
Ati X850xt ( :-( I don't game though but it does)
Lanparty Ultra-D (NF4) Motherboard

CPU seems to run at 30c wi

Note updated exact specs.

More about : update processor

May 14, 2007 5:23:17 AM

That's still a dual core CPU. My advice would be to wait until next year. By then K10 and Penryn will be out in volume and we'll be hearing more about Nehalem and whatever AMD is coming out with next year.

I've got a Core 2 Duo E6300 and I'm keeping it until next year, it seems that K10 and Penryn won't offer enough of a boost to make it worthwhile upgrading from a C2D for me. Nehalem might just do it though! :D 
May 14, 2007 6:13:46 AM

I also have an Opteron 165, with a slight 2.25ghz overclock (from 1.8ghz). Idle is low 30's and load is low 40's in a crappy Compaq case. It's coupled with 1.5gb of DDR400, a 7600GT and two SATA drives on a cheap Biostar T-Force mobo.

It has no problem doing anything I ask of it. Photo/video editing w/Premiere 1.5 and CS2, encoding, browsing and gaming. Sure, the 7600GT is weak, but it's easily upgradeable.

So my question is, what do you use your PC for? Do you even use its power now?

Where do you notice it lagging (besides maybe gaming), if at all?

This is a geeks website, and they like to gloat and "bench race" with their PCs. They try to make you think anything less than a C2D overclocked to 3.0ghz+ and an 8800gts is garbage :roll:
Related resources
May 14, 2007 6:41:07 AM

Quote:
My rig was before AM2's barely, I just couldn't wait. Still I love my PC I built 100x fold.

So I was wondering the following: Is overclocking hard? My computer runs at 29- 30cs while heavy use. Is it safe to overclock and how high can I plan on going. Is the difference going to be noticeable? What's the safe temp to go to/speed?

I have a
Opteron 165
antec truepower 2.0 550w
Crucial DDR (platinum) 2 1GB sticks
WD Sata 2.0 hardrive
Ati X850xt ( :-( I don't game though but it does)
Landparty D motherboard (the over clocking one that supports the opteron)

CPU seems to run at 30c wi
You've got one of the best AMD chips for overclocking, and a good mobo to boot. You should be able to reach 2.5GHz....and with better cooling....quite a bit higher. If you can get 2.4-2.5GHz out of it, i'm sure you'll be happy/impressed. If you like it now, it will be better then. Actually, your graphics card is quite acceptable...especially considering you're not a gamer, so you needn't worry about spending money on that. If you just e-mail, IM and surf...overclocking isn't going to make much difference....but it still can help app's, big folders, etc. open a little faster. If you do any audio/video encoding, even virus-scanning..these can benefit from a good overclock. I think your system will serve you well for a while longer, yet. GL :) 
May 14, 2007 6:47:58 AM

Good news.

I do a lot of Dreamweaver, programing, Photoshop, and DVD encoding.

I heard that my CPU was slow, though for me I don't really notice any problems. Still if I can easily make it faster, why not.
May 14, 2007 7:06:17 AM

If your MoBo and PSU can handle an OC, do it.
Be careful, you could catch the overclocking bug.
A few months after you have tweeked your Opty to the max, you'll be looking at other processors wondering how much you can get out of them.
Intel or AMD, it won't matter.
It's an expensive "illness" :wink:
May 14, 2007 7:12:12 AM

Quote:
If your MoBo and PSU can handle an OC, do it.
Be careful, you could catch the overclocking bug.
A few months after you have tweeked your Opty to the max, you'll be looking at other processors wondering how much you can get out of them.
Intel or AMD, it won't matter.
It's an expensive "illness" :wink:
QFT :D  :D  :D 
May 14, 2007 2:26:13 PM

Go ahead and OC what you have to 2.6-2.8GHz; with the chip you have, is not worth getting any new CPU.
!