My first server!

constellanation

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
So I just pulled the plug on buying these parts for my first server
I'm hoping there are no major problems with this as a setup for a server also...

AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GT-UD3H ATX AMD Motherboard
iStarUSA TC-2U/50-80 2U 38dB Quiet 80plus Green Server Power Supply
A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
2 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Antec Three Hundred Black Computer Case

I'm planning on installing ubuntu server edition 10.04, as you can see i didn't get a cd/dvd burner so I'm hoping I can make an iso on a usb stick using Unetbootin (it worked fine installing ubuntu on my netbook) will I have any troubles doing this on my new set-up?

Second what advice and links can you point me to for this, I'm pretty new to linux and this is the first computer i've ever built.

I'm planning on using this a file server for my pictures and videos, to stream music, host a website, and perhaps make my own email client... and any other cool stuff you can recommend.

Thanks for any advice and help!

edit: one stupid question, do the parts i order usually come with all the necessary cables to build the computer, or do i have to get those separate?

OEM harddrives do not usually come with extra stuff like cables. The motherboard will come with a few SATA, PATA and other accessories.

As for other stuff you will need to experiment and tailor the software to your needs. Read the man/help pages and/or come back if you have questions. Also the ubuntu forums and help pages have ALOT of information so search there too!

Have fun with your new computer!

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
Other than that you should be fine; any system that's pure Intel or AMD is generally supported with no issues though you may have to download an ATI driver for the integrated graphics if you want 3D graphics (presumably you don't care on a server).

constellanation

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
thanks for the replies guys, I've been reading as much different stuff on the install of the server as i can and I can pretty much guarentee that I will be back with questions after I get my parts in (which should be in the next few days hopefully) and built.

I'm guessing I should have no problem using a usb stick for my os install as long as I get the bios to run off usb. I'd really like to avoid digging up an optical drive.

I do have one question off the bat, it looks like the initial os setup gives you options for different packages. more specifically the package tasks from https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/installing-from-cd.html
I'm thinking I can skip over all of the cloud options. I've read one guide that recommended just installing openssh and manually installing things needed after that, would you recommend that or would you go for the quick install in the beginning?

panto

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
A sysadmin in the making :)
Anyway, yes, assuming you're only using this at home - skip the cloud stuff.

The other packages listed there that you want to consider are:
Samba - if you plan to share directories with windows computers
LAMP - if you want to serve web pages
Tomcat - if you plan to run some jsp applications

If you just want it to work, use quick install. If you want to learn the stuff, do it manually. It is a pretty steep learning curve especially if you're new to linux but hey, you only need to learn it once and there's a lotta help around here :)

constellanation

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
thanks for the reply, panto! I've actually got it up and running since I posted. In the initial install i miss hit the install on that page. I tabbed over to my first choice openssh and hit enter, unfortunately spacebar was what would have selected the package, instead I installed no packages. woops.

anyway I just sudo apt-get for openssh and the lamp package. I haven't put samba on yet. and I don't think I'll need tomcat anytime soon.

but for those interested, I've gotten remote access set up with a dynamic dns. I have a photo gallery started. and there is more to come.

as for the build, I'm exceptionally happy with it. The only noise it makes is the fans and everything seems really snappy!