Sign in with
Your question

Incredibly slow after defragging!

Last response: in Windows XP
February 8, 2008 8:42:49 AM

Hey All

Started defragging last night. Got to 52% this afternoon and just froze. Hard reset the system, XP now takes a good 5 minutes to load. Computer is so slow that even the cursor lags all over the screen. Not acceptable.

Windows has only be installed for the past two weeks. The HDD was not severely fragmented.

What the hell is going on? Are there any ways to fix this?
February 8, 2008 12:23:34 PM

System is overheating, poor water on it.

Seriously though, need more information. Open your taskmanager and see what your CPU / Page File usage is. (Sort by CPU Usage in the process tab) Is anything insanely high in usage? What is the CPU usage at the bottom of the task manager?
February 8, 2008 1:31:40 PM

The CPU is hanging around 1 - 3%.

There is nothing consuming much CPU power in the task manager except for the System Idle Process, hanging around 99. I'm guessing this is normal?

Firefox is taking up the most memory at 38mb.

I'm stumped!
Related resources
February 8, 2008 2:46:11 PM

Quote:
There is nothing consuming much CPU power in the task manager except for the System Idle Process, hanging around 99. I'm guessing this is normal?
Yeah, that's normal.

Go to your Device Manager and make sure nothing has a yellow ? or !.
February 8, 2008 3:03:53 PM

Nope, no problems there except the single "PCI Device" which has been there since the beginning and which I'm yet to identify. =P
February 8, 2008 4:01:16 PM

Is it perhaps a PCIe device? Could that be your GPU? It would definitely cause an extremely choppy / slow response time on the screen.

Beyond that, I can only recommend checking your HD or running SysInternals Process Explorer, found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb89665...

It will tell you absolutely every process that is running, even hardware interrupts and DPC's, which could be the cause of your slowness. Go ahead and check it out and see if it reports anything different about CPU / RAM usage.
February 9, 2008 3:33:49 AM

Okay thanks.

Process Explorer shows Hardware Interrupts as idling between 1 - 5, often spiking up to around 15.
When loading a program, it seems to average around 50.

Is this normal?
!