Recommend HDTV reciever for directv?

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 23, 2004 3:42:45 AM

Well, i guess i have to bite the bullet and shell out more money for a failed
$600 E86 Huges unit. My transponder readings are low and so I'm loseing some
of my directv channels..TCM, TNT & CNN for now. any recommendations for a unit
under $300? I don't want to get burned again. The E86 barely lasted over 2
years. BTW, what is meant by QAM in part of the specifications for one of these
units? Motorola got a bad review and its $300. Seems that the latest Samsung is
getting praise. I think the number is T451
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 3:42:46 AM

Offhand I'd say you're probably going to get exactly what you pay for. For
that reason alone I don't think it wise to be quite so price conscious.
You don't buy one every day, so you want a good one. When I bought my E86
the prices were down to $389, just before they were discontinued.
Fortunately mine's still hanging in there, but I agree it's kind of a POS,
just can't bring myself to spending the dough to replace it because it's
still working. (and I really like the Hughes menus)

In article <20041222194245.07117.00002247@mb-m10.aol.com>
harri85274@aol.com (Harri85274) writes:

>Well, i guess i have to bite the bullet and shell out more money for a failed
>$600 E86 Huges unit. My transponder readings are low and so I'm loseing some
>of my directv channels..TCM, TNT & CNN for now. any recommendations for a unit
>under $300? I don't want to get burned again. The E86 barely lasted over 2
>years. BTW, what is meant by QAM in part of the specifications for one of these
>units? Motorola got a bad review and its $300. Seems that the latest Samsung is
>getting praise. I think the number is T451
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 3:33:59 PM

I prefer the high rated LG LSS-3200A and the Sony SAT-HD300. I got my LG
for under $250 shipped.

--
charper1
December 26, 2004 9:46:04 PM

Are you sure it's not the dish alignment or LNB? Do you have anything to
compare it with, another receiver, a friend with the same dish or system?
Low transponder readings due to receiver failure are very rare.

"Harri85274" <harri85274@aol.com> wrote in message
> Well, i guess i have to bite the bullet and shell out more money for a
> failed
> $600 E86 Huges unit. My transponder readings are low and so I'm loseing
> some
> of my directv channels..TCM, TNT & CNN for now. any recommendations for a
> unit
> under $300? I don't want to get burned again. The E86 barely lasted over
> 2
> years. BTW, what is meant by QAM in part of the specifications for one of
> these
> units? Motorola got a bad review and its $300. Seems that the latest
> Samsung is
> getting praise. I think the number is T451
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 7:12:19 PM

charper1 got a 3200a for 250 bucks? where?

--
splyssr