Sign in with
Your question

Reviews of Radeon HD 2900XT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 14, 2007 6:23:03 AM

Daily Tech has a list of links of the first reviews of the HD 2900XT to hit the web after the NDA lift

http://www.dailytech.com/5142007+Daily+Hardware+Reviews...

More about : reviews radeon 2900xt

May 14, 2007 7:34:44 AM

See, the thing about this card (HD2900XT) is that it is supposed to compete with the 8800GTS line, which IMHO, it does pretty well. The HD2900XTX is what's supposed to compete with the GTX, but it isn't going to be released (at least to consumers from what i've heard.

Everyone is expecting the 2900XT to be as good as the GTX which is one tier higher.

My .02
May 14, 2007 8:43:17 AM

Pricing is what will determine what "tier" it will be measured against, not what was or wasn't theoretically intended. It looks like it will fall between the GTS and GTX in terms of pricing but be much closer to the GTS in performance.. or will it? The benchmarks so far (eg from the INQ) have been nothing if not confusing.. at least to this poor sap.

With the GTS price drops this past week... it's looking much more tempting
Related resources
May 14, 2007 8:55:42 AM

Quote:
Pricing is what will determine what "tier" it will be measured against, not what was or wasn't theoretically intended.

That's what I was trying to point out, because of the pricing. $399 puts it at what the GTS was priced at launch - although prices now are cheaper.
May 14, 2007 9:08:35 AM

The 8800GTS 320MB, at <$300, is about the same in performance. I think that will hurt this card a lot.
May 14, 2007 10:32:36 AM

Quote:
The 8800GTS 320MB, at <$300, is about the same in performance. I think that will hurt this card a lot.

Agreed, most people will go for the 8800 when the performance is the same. Only the ATI fanboys will pay more for the ATI card.
May 14, 2007 11:05:28 AM

No TomsHardware or Anandtech review?
May 14, 2007 11:54:11 AM

Also the GeForce 8800GTS runs MUCH cooler 8) & silenter than HD 2900XT!
The Guru3D's review said that it can easily reach +90c! :evil: 
Like it or not, nVIDIA Rule!
May 14, 2007 12:08:11 PM

> Like it or not, nVIDIA Rule!

Except in IQ and driver support.

> MUCH cooler Cool & silenter

silenter?
May 14, 2007 12:12:39 PM

well i dont think its good that the hd 2900xt lose or close to8800gts because then there will be no price drops for the 8800gts at the moment, which isnt good since most of us want the cards for cheaper prices. in any case 8800gts @ 270$ is a much better buy than hd 2900xt @400$
May 14, 2007 1:09:43 PM

Nice card... shame about the driver issues and possible memory bandwidth bottleneck. However, with the proper driver revisions, I think this card would be very nice to have. But! At the moment, Nvidia still have the performance crown, no matter how you look at things, and ATI/AMD will need to get their HD2900XTX out soon if they wish to get back into the lead. That, and have a solid mainstream/low-end offering.
May 14, 2007 1:18:19 PM

Cool and silent???
One of the review states that the hd2900xt is runs at lower temps than the 8800
May 14, 2007 1:23:47 PM

The 2900XT or the whole series, will have more up it sleave for next gen games then what the G8 from nvidia has.
Framerates aren't everything you know :wink:

I think you can't discredit it yet untill descent review of game experience has been done. For starting that 2900XT has more memory than the GTS320, and with games like Cellfactor and Crysis... smoothness for money i'd say.

The price may start at 350$ but will fall within the next two months.
I garantee it.

I'm still the Nvdia guy, but I'm for the underdog aswell :) 
And I really hope that the 2900XTX will blow the GTX away.
The reason more for Nvidia to bring out there 8900 series or G9

I also think the 2900XTX isn't released because ATI wants a response of Nvidia, and see what they do.
May 14, 2007 1:51:40 PM

NVIDIA will doing nothing right now their still in the cat's seat. :wink:
May 14, 2007 2:00:08 PM

Yeah like ATI has Linux driver support rofl.
May 14, 2007 2:08:41 PM

Quote:
Cool and silent???
One of the review states that the hd2900xt is runs at lower temps than the 8800

O RLY?
Then check this out!
HD 2900XT consumes (wastes to be exact) more power even than 8800Ultra (400 VS 371watt)& it is MUCH hotter than any GeForce8 Series!
About the noise... :roll:
Have you ever heard the sound of a Harrier jet? No? Then go buy a HD 2900XT if you wish to hear... :twisted:
May 14, 2007 2:37:00 PM

In terms of peformance, I don't know what to think. I read the Guru 3d review (all 25 pages of it, and no Oblivion benchmarks?). It seems that performance for current games is adequate, and for future games it could be superior to the GTS and maybe the GTX in some instances. We'll have to see.

As for the features, you get a lot for your money when you buy this card. Games, HDMI, etc.

I still think I'll be holding out for the next generation. Unless we find that DX10 runs better than DX9 (which doesn't seem to be the case).
May 14, 2007 2:57:00 PM

HDMI is a reason to buy a video card? Maybe for HTPC's, but who would want a power-hungry, hot card in a HTPC case? For the majority of people it's just a gimmick. Only some come bundled with games, and that's definately worth an extra 139 dollars. The onboard sound is kinda interesting, but ultimately useless, as it's not superior to some onboard systems. And if the card can't hang now, it's really doubtful that it will perform better later. That's a pretty silly assumption to operate under. Granted, future driver revisions will likely improve performance by some margin and close the gap with the GTS a smidge, but let's not expect miracles. At least ATI has traditionally had better driver support than Nvidia

As for Farhang's comments, that's the whole system. The video card itself doesn't draw anywhere near 400W, in fact it's physically impossible for it to do so given the connector specifications. It still appears to consume more than the Ultra though. And have you ever seen a Harrier in real life? They're a touch louder than 53dBa, I can assure you.

Overall, I stand by recommending the 8800GTS 320 to anyone considering purchasing this card. You'll have enough left over for an extra 2 gigs of RAM or a sweet cooling setup for your CPU. This card is a dud.
May 14, 2007 3:10:17 PM

So, as it stands, the 2900XT competes with the 8800GTS and the 2900XTX will supposedly compete with the 8800GTX?
May 14, 2007 3:23:24 PM

For now it's right man.
But the AMD's drivers are still bugy :? ...I`m not sure but some other guys believe that HD 2900XT may reach 8800GTX with the upcoming drivers...I don't think that high! :roll:
May 14, 2007 3:27:52 PM

That seems like a bit of a stretch, but you never know I guess. At least, hopefully, we'll get some nice price drops out of all of this.
May 14, 2007 3:33:07 PM

At least none for 8800GTX & Ultra as they are better than HD 2900XT but if nVIDIA drop the price of the 8800GTS 320/640MB...Then AMD is finished!
May 14, 2007 3:34:37 PM

I agree with Farhang about the noise thing. Both the Techreport and Guru3D articles explain that this thing under load sounds like a helicopter landing on your roof. Last night I posted that I was leaning towards towards the 2900 XT over the 8800 GTX because of the price and upside of the card (I think driver improvements will make a huge deal with this card). Also, my motherboard is corssfire supported. Last night, however, I hadn't read any reviews that measuered noise (just game performance). I'm trying to build a relatively quiet system. The noise thing is a deal breaker for me. I know HIS has a version of the card they are marketing and they usually have quieter and more efficient cooling solutions. If the HIS version keeps noise in check, I'll consider the 2900 again. If not, I'll probably go for the 8800 GTX.

Rob
May 14, 2007 3:55:39 PM

For me, in a gaming rig, noise doesn't matter, since most of the time I'll have my surround sound blasting while playing games. Noise would be a bigger deal to me in a rig that was just for general usage.
May 14, 2007 4:16:57 PM

Well... I waited and waited but although the performance of the XT compares favourably against the GTS, (more or less), from what I've read today the card simply wasn't good enough for me. The noise issue is a big deal in my book so I went out just now and got myself a brand new GTX. (I haven't been a customer of nVidia's since the first TNT more than 8 years ago!).
I'm logging off now to install my new toy!
May 14, 2007 4:27:45 PM

Quote:
well i dont think its good that the hd 2900xt lose or close to8800gts because then there will be no price drops for the 8800gts at the moment, which isnt good since most of us want the cards for cheaper prices. in any case 8800gts @ 270$ is a much better buy than hd 2900xt @400$

This card is not a complete bust.

The 2900 XT does very well with heavily pixel shaded games. It does as well and sometimes better than a GTX. Rainbow Six Vegas, Spliter Cell Chaos Theory, GRAW...these are Unreal Engine xbox360 ports that we'll be seeing alot more of.

In those games you get GTX performance for GTS prices.

If not for the heat and power consumption I would say that this is a better buy than the GTS. You can upgrade your power supply easily enough but heat can be a problem....your entire system will get hotter. The heat issue will make or break this card.
May 14, 2007 4:32:24 PM

Well, have fun and congrats.

Anyway, it appears to me that ATI has some driver issues to work out or something. Their strange doom 3 performance points to driver issues, and it makes me wonder if performance in other games will increase as well when they fix drivers (mind you that is pure speculation).

It's sad for me to see a card with such potential (e.g. memory bandwidth, AVIVO) not perform very well. I'm personally waiting this whole thing out a bit more (when Crysis is released I might buy a DX10 card) but at the moment I'd say GTS 320 is the clear winner for value. It seems like the hardware decoding for video is cool, but given the choice between that and higher FPS for games I would certainly choose higher FPS.
May 14, 2007 4:51:25 PM

Quote:
I'm personally waiting this whole thing out a bit more (when Crysis is released I might buy a DX10 card) but at the moment I'd say GTS 320 is the clear winner for value. It seems like the hardware decoding for video is cool, but given the choice between that and higher FPS for games I would certainly choose higher FPS.

But even now as the 2900 XT drivers are still in their infancy it's FPS in Rainbow Six Vegas and other intensive pixel shader games.

This is important because the GTS can just barely handle R6V and Spliter Cell and other xbox360 ports. You get playable framerates 30-50 fps but not fluid 60+. Keep in mind that 360 ports aren't going to get any tougher because the 360 isn't changing in the next 2 years. So if you can play these ports at 60+ fps then you're good for the next 2 years.

If the heat and power weren't such an issue I would like the 2900 XT a lot more.
May 14, 2007 5:03:14 PM

Quote:
At least none for 8800GTX & Ultra as they are better than HD 2900XT but if nVIDIA drop the price of the 8800GTS 320/640MB...Then AMD is finished!

I'm telling you, that price really is going down.
Here in Belgium it's 549€ (that's 719$) for an ASUS 8800GTX.
It will go down to 460€ on the end of june.
That way Nvidia will defintely strike into ATi's future.

If the 2900XTX is similar into overall performance as the 8800GTX, then Ati will have to sell it at the same price.

Nvidia has already made big money on his high-end but ATi will propably/most likely not be able to match that.

And if Nvdia release's it's 8900 in let's say 3 months, ATi has to come up with a new answer quick or it will go down.

I really hope that XTX is better , otherwise ATi, as you said, will go down.
May 14, 2007 5:17:03 PM

Quote:

If the 2900XTX is similar into overall performance as the 8800GTX, then Ati will have to sell it at the same price.

Nvidia has already made big money on his high-end but ATi will propably/most likely not be able to match that.

And if Nvdia release's it's 8900 in let's say 3 months, ATi has to come up with a new answer quick or it will go down.

if they even do it, with no actual competition, prices actually would go up...
not down ..
so dont keep your hopes that high..
May 14, 2007 5:27:48 PM

I won't disagree with a lot of people's opinions about driver issues.

But think about this. I'm sure AMD/ATI probably were thinking the same thing and I'd bet they were trying franically to resolve 'driver issues'. I wouldn't be surprised if this influenced the many release delays. My theory is they've spent a ton of time trying to tweak the drivers to get the performance that the specs on paper would have suggested. But eventually it just wasn't happening and they had to get the product to market.

Maybe there's a piece of golden code that will fix everything, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They've been looking for it hard for 6 months.
May 14, 2007 5:32:59 PM

Quote:

if they even do it, with no actual competition, prices actually would go up...
not down ..
so dont keep your hopes that high..

If Nvidia would wan't ATi to fall on there knees, they would.
Regarding the new better G89 chip already on the way, they have a new high end to sell at crazy prices! And I'm still telling you, here that 8800GTX is going at 460€, the Club3D version will even go at 445€.
(So a buyer from Ingram tells me, wich I credit for)

Untill that 2900 XTX will be released, Nvidia will already have a 7 month sale on the G80, and trust me, they already have there cash back. So a counter against ATi would not be so surprising.
May 14, 2007 5:34:17 PM

An interesting idea. There could have been any number of issues though.

Maybe they had an issue with the hardware (licensing/production/etc.) so at the last minute they had to scrap some ideas and move in a different direction which caused delays and bad drivers.

Maybe they were having issues with the integrated sound for HDMI and they poured too much money into R&D on that thinking it would be the extra thing that gave them the competitive edge.

Or maybe the company is just temporarily buckling under the stress of being integrated into AMD while AMD is getting their arses handed to them temporarily by Intel.

.. etc.

:D 
May 14, 2007 5:56:43 PM

Yea, from what I've heard from those in the know, a lot of the delays were hardware-related. The 2900's not-so-stellar performance notwithstanding, it IS a pretty ambitious piece of hardware. I, for one, wish they would've dropped things like HDMI from it and focused more on outright performance. Honestly, who needs an HDMI video card right now for anything BUT an HTPC. And who in there right mind would stuff a card like this into an HTPC? I'm sure the merger didn't have a positive effect either, with all the uncertainty and confusion that comes with that.
May 14, 2007 6:03:02 PM

Holy crud those benchmark lists are confusing. The ATI and nVidia cards trade blows all over the freaking place. I think most people will make their choice based on price.
May 14, 2007 6:11:13 PM

Went to buy one at newegg and they added 2 more models and they all say 409.99 but when u click them they start at 430 and they is horrible , checked zipzoomfly and they upped the sapphire to 414.50 i beleave. I mean that is really wtf is going on lol , prices rising , did a new driver come out with benchies.Just aggervating cause im about to just get it for the heck of it.
May 14, 2007 6:19:12 PM

Quote:
So, as it stands, the 2900XT competes with the 8800GTS and the 2900XTX will supposedly compete with the 8800GTX?

Yes, and the 8800 320 GTS at that. It still falls a tad short of the 8800 640 GTS.

As much as I want to support ATI / AMD, I just can't make myself fork over the extra $100+. :cry: 
May 14, 2007 6:21:44 PM

Yeah.... I would have liked them to drop everything and focus on performance. Instead it looks like some sort of ATI multimedia/gaming hybrid. Not exactly what I'm after.

And yeah, anybody that works for a large organization knows that these cataclysmic changes only lower morale. Since people don't perform best when they have low morale, I'm sure the people at ATI aren't at 100% right now (R600 is proof of that IMO). But, once the turmoil stops I'm hoping they come up with a winner (because I do see some good ideas in the R600, just poor execution).
May 14, 2007 6:27:46 PM

Quote:
Went to buy one at newegg and they added 2 more models and they all say 409.99 but when u click them they start at 430 and they is horrible , checked zipzoomfly and they upped the sapphire to 414.50 i beleave. I mean that is really wtf is going on lol , prices rising , did a new driver come out with benchies.Just aggervating cause im about to just get it for the heck of it.

Indeed their prices have increased... Thank god I bought it from newegg when the prices were 400
May 14, 2007 6:29:00 PM

idk what to do lol , could get a gtx for about the different between the GTS and XT , 100bucks more lol . Boy am I tempted to go both ways.
May 14, 2007 6:38:20 PM

Quote:
No TomsHardware or Anandtech review?

I guess you did not look all that hard did ya? :twisted:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2988
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/05/14/r600_finally_dx1...
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

In his defense, it really wasn't up this morning. :lol: 

8O 30 pages from Anand. Can you say too much time on your hands.(while we wait for the NDA to lift)
May 14, 2007 6:41:13 PM

am i wrong when i say that ive waited for this thing for a long time and that i am disappointed that there is no clear advantage over g8 this crap took so long to come out and for this? not even a significant advantage it actually seems beaten by the g8 even if the 2900 xt is better at future games like crysis nvidia aint sitting and smiling you know they probably putting the finishing touches on the g9 as we speak i would not be surprised be cause the keep there schedule unlike amd/ati which took 7+ months and still is struggling with fanbois bringing a drivers excuse which i dont deny but with almost a years delay i expected something better then again maybe i should not be surprised seems typical of amd i hope one they they get their act together cause all i hear from them are drams and imagination going on over there while intel and nvidia are making realities without any delays i hope k10 can out do penryn becuase the core 2 duo has done its job wonderfully and for a q3 launch it be disgrace to match it up to a cor2duo. good thing i bought my g8's last year.
May 14, 2007 6:41:14 PM

Quote:
idk what to do lol , could get a gtx for about the different between the GTS and XT , 100bucks more lol . Boy am I tempted to go both ways.

Everyone experiences those kinds of temptations sometimes. Don't worry, it's normal ;) 

From the benchmarks I've seen so far I'm also pretty baffled as to what I would choose... I'll probably just wait for them to drive down the price of other GFX cards though xD
May 14, 2007 6:47:56 PM

Is this why everyone didnt buy one that night with overnight shipping and for sure its the reason now.Have not seen one person that has got one ordered but havent really looked.Either there is something we dont know and ill be sorry for getting the 8800gts 320mb today with overnight shipping for atleast 150 less.It's not like it is going to go much farther down befor i can sell it for a WELL priced 2900xt that has a more clear furture. Running 2 1950pro's in CF and just need more from oblivion and i'm only running 1440x900.What do you think flasher , which way are you leaning.lol
May 14, 2007 7:06:43 PM

Quote:
am i wrong when i say that ive waited for this thing for a long time and that i am disappointed that there is no clear advantage over g8 this crap took so long to come out and for this? not even a significant advantage it actually seems beaten by the g8 even if the 2900 xt is better at future games like crysis nvidia aint sitting and smiling you know they probably putting the finishing touches on the g9 as we speak i would not be surprised be cause the keep there schedule unlike amd/ati which took 7+ months and still is struggling with fanbois bringing a drivers excuse which i dont deny but with almost a years delay i expected something better then again maybe i should not be surprised seems typical of amd i hope one they they get their act together cause all i hear from them are drams and imagination going on over there while intel and nvidia are making realities without any delays i hope k10 can out do penryn becuase the core 2 duo has done its job wonderfully and for a q3 launch it be disgrace to match it up to a cor2duo. good thing i bought my g8's last year.

Holy crap that is hard to read. Please use more punctuation. :roll: :) 
May 14, 2007 7:18:29 PM

Quote:

Holy crap that is hard to read. Please use more punctuation. :roll: :) 
hey i dont know what youre giving this guy such a hard time for that post was absolutely fine by the way i had cerial for breakfast.

:twisted:
May 14, 2007 7:35:47 PM

you know some people have writing disorders that makes it a disability making fun of disabled people is not funny how do you sleep at night much less eat cereal for breakfast by the way you make fun of other people's learning disabilities i think you should stop talking about what time did you have breakfast anyway i need to get going and study why am i even writing to someone who obviously doesn't even care would you care to explain that? hey this is actually kind of fun i think i also think it's a great exercise for understanding how punctuation works without punctuation and a little effort you can blend ideas together to make it so that you can't understand where one sentence ends and the next begins with that in mind I now leave you all to ponder why did I even read this?
May 14, 2007 7:49:36 PM

Flasher, (excuse the punctuation) that was a very deep post. I'm going to go ponder the meaning of the universe now and the even more important question: why the hell DID I read that post?

:lol: 
May 14, 2007 8:10:00 PM

I think amd/ati were when they conceived it were aiming it at dx10 games and HD and blue Ray but as they all havn't really taken off yet theyre stuck with everyone comparing it to dx9 games.
So i'm hoping (for the sake of a price war) that with newer drivers and the emergance of dx10 games that it'll turn into a good card.

And I want my friend to buy one so he gives me his 1900XTX. So stop slagging it off and say its the best card in the world :D 
!