Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ubuntu does not recognize hard drive

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
May 27, 2010 6:22:20 PM

Hello,
how can I see my own hard drive for windows 7 in ubuntu?
a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2010 8:38:32 PM

You have to mount it.

1. mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdd1 /media/windows7

replace sdd1 with your windows partition. read the man page for more information on mount options/

You can make this automount by adding it to /etc/fstab

Also you can make grub detect and add windows 7 boot to grub.list by doing:
  1. sudo update-grub
m
l

Best solution

May 31, 2010 12:21:17 PM

Or you could just do it with the GUI... seriously folks we need to start thinking about how we answer these questions for new users, we try to sell Linux != command line then throw commands at them as soon as it gets tough.

Nothing wrong with your answer skittle but it does assume SATA drives and misses the fact that there should just be an icon on the desktop for the OP to click on.
Related resources
June 7, 2010 6:49:23 AM

Thanks skittle,
Thanks audiovodoo, it works with the GUI. You're right, us newbies to linux lack lots of info about the transition from windows/mac to linux. But, thanks skittle for your help though. I really appreciate it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2010 4:20:03 PM

how am i supposed to know ubuntu has a gui for mount? :p 
And nothing wrong with telling him what command to do! Better him know what the gui does behind the scenes than telling him to check a box in some and magic happens!

btw that command generally works for both IDE and SATA drives (cdrom/ flash drives etc as well)... as thats the syntax for mount...
m
l
June 17, 2010 12:49:18 AM

Best answer selected by m2b999.
m
l
June 18, 2010 5:27:37 PM

skittle said:
how am i supposed to know ubuntu has a gui for mount? :p 
And nothing wrong with telling him what command to do! Better him know what the gui does behind the scenes than telling him to check a box in some and magic happens!

btw that command generally works for both IDE and SATA drives (cdrom/ flash drives etc as well)... as thats the syntax for mount...

Well if you don't know you can always check.... the question was about Ubuntu and the google takes but a second if you know what you are looking for.

Why should a user (unless they wish to be an administrator) be concerned with the workings of a system?

I know the syntax is correct but sdd1 is not hda, something that an average user would not be able to spot.

As I originally said it's just a slight shift of mindset that can make all the difference in supporting other users.
m
l
June 18, 2010 7:21:44 PM

skittle said:

People have been using Windows for decades now without having any clue why clicking button X opens window Y, and most Windows users are fairly competent... well, for Windows users :D  But I digress; point being, for the people new to Linux, we should be giving them the GUI method of doing things, as well as the command line if they are interested in learning such things. Nothing wrong with learning how things happen, as you mentioned, but we do need to make *Nix seem a bit more user-friendly.
m
l
!