how do i set preferences for colum headers in folder views

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynegrauel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I'm having a hard time dealing with what vista thinks i want to see when i view folders.

i do a lot of music recording and editing and each time i go into a folder view of recordings i made i see:

rating
artist
album
etc
etc...

all i want to see when i open a folder and go to details is:

file name
date modified
size
and perhaps length

each time i open a new folder or different folder i have to go through the same nonsense of getting rid of vista's assumptions of what they have set up for column headers and redo all of the column headers. is there some global format somewhere where i can set preferences.. if so.. i have yet to find it.. but only been using vista for a couple of days;

same goes for video files and image files.. i do my own video and photo work and i really don't want to see all of the consumer oriented column headers.

Also.. i did a search and nothing came up for this topic.. and i can't believe I'm the first person to ask this.

Many thanks for any help.

i hate learning curves with new programs that totally re-invent the wheel sometimes!

Wayne

Solution
1. Open the folder and make changes you like.
2. Go to>Organize >layout > Manu bar ( You will see Manu bar on top of the window)
3. On the Manu bar tools> folder options.
4. In folder options go to> view> apply to folders

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
1. Open the folder and make changes you like.
2. Go to>Organize >layout > Manu bar ( You will see Manu bar on top of the window)
3. On the Manu bar tools> folder options.
4. In folder options go to> view> apply to folders

Solution
What arkadi said but I'm not sure exactly what you are after here. . .

I ran into a problem, some ordinary folders were showing the 'media details' (rating, last played, etc.) instead of the usual details (date modified , size, etc.) - right click in open space of a viewed folder, choose 'customize this folder' and get it into the style you want.

You can also choose the details yourself under 'view' and 'choose details'. Vista is famous for not saving your view prefernces for very long and I have yet to see a fix. Maybe in SP 1? Not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS