Sign in with
Your question

Wifi drivers for a 1525 on 64 bit ubuntu

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 1, 2010 8:06:26 AM

sums it up in the title, i'm attempting to make the switch at least on my laptop where gaming really isn't to much of an option, but it seems to be going pretty good, but on a side note even with there most recent 10.04 i feel it's not going to gain much ground against windows or apple, because it still so much harder to get things going on it

but anyways back on topic a website would be lovely i've been trying to use the automatic hardware driver thing but keeps giving me failed to install archives failed
June 1, 2010 3:54:46 PM

this is looking good, but it asks me to compile with make, and i really just don't know where it is, i have the make package, so i know it's there somewhere
m
l
Related resources
June 1, 2010 5:40:50 PM

navigate to the source directory and type 'make' in the terminal
m
l
June 1, 2010 6:33:17 PM

jonnyboyC said:
this is looking good, but it asks me to compile with make, and i really just don't know where it is, i have the make package, so i know it's there somewhere

I am glade I could point you in the right direction. But for that problem i do not know seeing how I have only messed with ubuntu a few times. Right now I am running a windows 7 machine thought about switching to linux but i just can't seeing how i do to much on windows.
m
l
June 1, 2010 11:23:49 PM

For simplicity's sake, put the folder on your Desktop, open Terminal and type 'cd Desktop/whateverthefoldersnameis.' Then type 'sudo make install.' (both commands without quotes, but use quotes around the folder name it has spaces, or better yet remove the spaces)

WiFi is a significant weak point in Linux, not due to the OS itself, but due to the fact that many Windows drivers had to be reverse engineered to get working on Linux, while only some manufacturers (like Realtek with some of their NICs) provide the source for their drivers to the public. It's much easier to improve on existing source than to start with a binary and try to rebuild it from scratch ;) 

You could also look at ndiswrapper which will allow you to put a wrapper around a Windows driver and use that instead. It's a bit messy but may be a good last resort option. In the end, if you plan on using Linux, it's best to use Linux-compatible hardware. If you were buying Windows or OSX you'd do the same :) 
m
l
June 2, 2010 1:13:59 AM

Wooo ok problem solved, so really i think one of the biggest problems was i had either already messed something up on the install, or something didn't go right, So i got kinda mad after fiddling around for several hours, and decided you know what the heck i'll just reinstall the whole thing,

So after a small scare, where i had deleted the ubuntu partition from my windows vista partition, and it give me no detected partition or something like that, luckly installed after i put the cd in, so no total laptop fail.

but i would have to say this time around ubuntu, is being quite a bit more first time user friendly to me. So i just clicked on the propriety hardware driver at the time, and for whatever reason, it worked without a problem. And i know using a dell isn't the best, i'm still primarly a windows guy, i have it on my desktop, but thought that linux's efficiency might be good for battery, which i found out because of linux has already lost 25 percent of it's total charge capacity =[

but again thanks so much even though i ended up not using any of the suggestion in the end

-john
m
l
June 2, 2010 2:43:43 AM

I've re-installed Linux distributions more times than I can count :)  But that's the "Windows way" of fixing things coming through. As for battery life, I don't think Ubuntu is particularly good. Windows is generally not that bad at all and OSX is so tuned for the limited hardware it runs on that it tops the lot.
m
l
!