Changed thermal paste and now temperatures are worse!

a_of

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
Hi

New to the forums, but I have been reading Tom's Hardware almost from the beginning, some years ago.

OK, now to my problem. I have a Core 2 Duo E6600 rig, which I was running with the stock Intel HSF (and AS ceramique, removed the thermal pad, so no worries about wax on the CPU), this is because I wasn't able to find a good HSF in my local computer hardware stores.
Yesterday I was able to find the thermaltake big typhoon vx HSF, that according to reviews is a relatively good and silent HSF. So I Installed it with some Artic Silver 3 thermal paste I had (I thought I had AS 5, but then think difference was not goint to be much so decided to apply it anyway). Very good results, I was having this temps:

Stock HSF:
-IDLE: 38 °C CPU (Speedfan), 45 °C aprox. CPU Cores (Speedfan). Note: Intel Speed Step enabled, I was having about 43 °C on CPU without it.
-LOAD (Intel TAT): 63 °CPU (Speedfan), >70° C Cores (Speedfan, Everest, TAT, all give me same temperatures)

With the new HSF:
-IDLE: 29 °C CPU, 35 °C aprox CPU Cores. Again, speed step enabled.
-LOAD (Intel TAT): 50 °C CPU, 57 °C aprox. Cores.

As you can see temps got a big dip. (As a side note, the difference between the temps of the CPU diode and CPU cores (or Tcase and Tjunction) temperatures have never been too far apart, I read in this same forum that temps are typical 15°C different, but everest, speedfan, TAT, etc. all give me the same temperature difference, looks like the temps are correct for my CPU).

Then I decided to do some OC. I was waiting for a good cooler to OC, this is the reason I bought it, I have always OC'ed, my last rig was a P4 2.4c OC to 3.1GHz. The temps:

-Load (Intel TAT): 55 °C CPU, don't remember cores, but it wasn't more than 6°C more.

SO... I was all happy and then started reading some thermal paste reviews on the net, even one thermal interface shootout here, and realized artic silver ceramique was better than artic silver 5, more than AS 3 I presumed, so I thought "man, I am a moron, why didn't I apply ceramique instead of AS3?". So, in my pursuit of a few degrees lower, I took out the HSF, cleaned it and the CPU with isopropyl alcohol, applied AS ceramique, and put all together again.

BAD IDEA. Without OC new temperatures are:

-IDLE: 35 °C CPU, 41 °C aprox. cores.
-Load: 65 °C CPU, 71 °C aprox. cores.

8O

What the hell happened!?. Temps are now worse than with stock HSF. Something went very wrong. I don't know what can it be. I am very meticulous when doing these type of things. I don't know if it is my imagination, but I noticed that when re installing the HSF I was able to rotate it (slightly, as per AS instructions for better distribution of thermal paste), more easily than the first time. Perhaps I bended the mount?. Applied too much force to it?. Bended the motherboard?. HSF is wrong seated?. Too much thermal paste?. I used AS instructions as I have always done. Other thing I notice is that my temps are "jumpy", as I write this, idle cpu temps have oscillated between 34 °C and 38 °C, and a speedfan chart of the CPU temp has a lot of spikes in it, as opposed to an almost stright line as before. Other clue as to what might be wrong is that when testing the new HSF, temps went down very fast when going from full load to idle, now they take a little more time to settle down.

HELP!. I need suggestions on what to do before I dismount the HSF again. What should I check?. What can be wrong?. Do I apply ceramique again, or do I go back to AS3, or buy some AS5?. Perhaps AS3-5 is better for the finish of my HSF base, that is very flat but not polished to the point of mirror finish?.
I am waiting for your help, thanks in advance.

a_of

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
Well, checked and, mind you, one of the clips was loose, don't know how that happened. Cleaned, re applied thermal paste, made sure everything was secured and tight, and now temps are down again. Thanks for your reply.