Formatting

mulepit

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
I am just now able to get to the "FAT32, format-NTSF, Convert-NTFS after a long recovery time from a virus and HDD wipe out. I chose the format to NTFS over FAT32 and convert to NTFS. Hope this was correct choice because it is showing that it is formatting "Disk-0 at ID-0 on Bus-0 and this concerns me. Like I said its been a long journey for me "johnny home owner" to fix. The computer is 10yrs old and the wife wont let me put anymore money into it. I think Ive purchased every "just click and WOW" on-line programs that promised to repair my issues that popped up. {You will see me on street corner later with a cup in hand "eh Scuze me misser wanna buya program?"} cant miss me im the one with a frying pan indented in my scull. Anyway I'd appreciate any fast impute I can get on this matter I really would like to keep this computer up until now it has been the most dependable computer Ive seen {it was built for me using all top componants of the time} and to show the wife "its alive ITS ALIVE!" would be the cherry.

Mike "Johnny Homeowner"

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
If possible you should always format only with NTFS and never go FAT and then convert to NTFS. The reason is that you will lose all pre-defined NTFS Access Control Lists all over the operating system folders. There is also a risk for somewhat lower performance since the NTFS metadata will not be placed optimal when doing convert.