Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 2, 2010 8:09:55 PM

Hello,
how to backup usb key into iso file?
June 2, 2010 8:22:03 PM

netgwe said:
Hello,
how to backup usb key into iso file?

I'm not sure how this is related to Linux, but I'll simply assume that you're running a *nix based OS.

It's quite simple really. Here's a quick copy-paste off another website.

Quote:
To make an ISO from files on your hard drive, create a directory which holds the files you want. Then use the mkisofs command.

mkisofs -o /tmp/cd.iso /tmp/directory/

This results in a file called cd.iso in folder /tmp which contains all the files and directories in /tmp/directory/.

Obviously the same applies for USB drives rather than Hard Drives. You can change the directory and name to whatever you wish. Be sure to navigate to the appropriate directory in the Terminal prior to running this command.

Good luck.
m
l
June 2, 2010 8:23:01 PM

dd if=/dev/[...] of=foo.iso
m
l
Related resources
June 3, 2010 4:38:10 AM

skittle said:
dd if=/dev/[...] of=foo.iso

Hello!
Thanks for your answer... but didn't work.

That was mi first action. The "ISO" file are not recognized as "iso" to record on a CD (boot CD by the way)... ;) 

m
l
June 3, 2010 4:41:01 AM

Pyroflea said:
I'm not sure how this is related to Linux, but I'll simply assume that you're running a *nix based OS.

It's quite simple really. Here's a quick copy-paste off another website.

Quote:
To make an ISO from files on your hard drive, create a directory which holds the files you want. Then use the mkisofs command.

mkisofs -o /tmp/cd.iso /tmp/directory/

This results in a file called cd.iso in folder /tmp which contains all the files and directories in /tmp/directory/.

Obviously the same applies for USB drives rather than Hard Drives. You can change the directory and name to whatever you wish. Be sure to navigate to the appropriate directory in the Terminal prior to running this command.

Good luck.

Thanks for the fast answer. :D 

I try to copy a hole (full) USB, not just the files in the USB. Why? because is a booteable CD (*nix install), and that's wy i tried to copy ALL in one step.

Thanks!!!
m
l
June 3, 2010 5:14:50 PM

did you try
  1. dd if=/dev/hda1 of=foo.iso

replace hda1 with the device name of your usb drive
m
l
June 4, 2010 3:59:51 AM

skittle said:
did you try
  1. dd if=/dev/hda1 of=foo.iso

replace hda1 with the device name of your usb drive

Of course!

Didn't work as i like.

The final file are not ISO compatible. ;) 
m
l
!