Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrading from XP to Vista

Last response: in Windows Vista
March 8, 2008 6:14:14 PM

I'm not sure if this makes a difference but I'm a gamer so I like to have everything running milky smooth. I went from XP Pro SP2 to Vista Ultimate SP1 recently. I love it since the SP1 really did something on improving speed. Does it make a difference at all if I upgrade or is it best to format and install? If so, why is it better?

More about : upgrading vista

March 8, 2008 6:53:26 PM

Upgrade from what to what? I don't think you can perform an upgrade from XP to Vista. I think you have to install fresh. You can buy an upgrade disk of course but it makes you install fresh.
Score

Best solution

March 8, 2008 11:01:46 PM

notherdude said:
Upgrade from what to what? I don't think you can perform an upgrade from XP to Vista. I think you have to install fresh. You can buy an upgrade disk of course but it makes you install fresh.

Wrong. You can upgrade from XP32 to Vista32 but not XP32 to Vista64.

Here the full mapping:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/...

If possible, it is always better to have a fresh install versus an upgrade. You generally end with a better Windows. A lot of junk will not be there. A clean install is the best.

The best thing is to buy a newer HD, unplug the old one, install new one, and install Windows plus updates. Once done, you cam replug your old HD and transfer your data. After a while, you can use it as a backup or you keep it as a dual boot in case you need XP!
!