crazyfool

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
hey guys,
i have had issues with since for some time with dvds looking grainy, pixelated and artifacting... however i am now trying to use ffdshow as the decoder and to process the video. In WMP 11 i can go to dvd options and under advanced all of the ffdshow options are there but when i actually play a dvd its seems as though wmp isn't using ffdshow as the only icon appearing in the taskbar is the ffdshow audio icon. Is there anyway to enable wmp to use this as the dvd decoder. I have also enabled the onscreendisplay feature for the decoder to see if it was using it but it doesn't appear so i'm assuming it isn't. any help please...

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I'd just use another free, superior player like VLC as g-paw suggested, or even Media Player Classic.

Also, bad video could be due to many things besides codecs. Lose cable, bad DVD drive, dirty disc. If you're playing from ISO files, it could even be due to bad / sloppy encoding or compression.

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
go get "vista codecs" works in xp sp2.for free.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/vista_codec_package.cfm

I got it for my mpeg2 camera.
and be surprised. I even loaded mpeg2 in winmovie maker.quickly. A good purchase for codecs are every where. mpeg2 is synonymous with dvd, so the same codec plays them. cyberlink, powerdvd, windvd.
seek them in a search they are from 12 bucks to 20 something. I never bought them, but have had the retail software. the codecs for real dvd are better than freeware.
Free players does seem absurd after all the gadgets going already with software in the os.

this question is 10 freakin years old...and still not a stupid one.

I am still having trouble. open source and free codecs keep me sane.
until a real dvd is in the player, I still don't purchase codec. I just make my own and watch it somelace else, like TV.