Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Old computer linux

Tags:
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 7, 2010 5:26:17 AM

I'm looking for a distro that I can install on an old gateway. It has a PII (i don't know the speed exactly, cause I haven't looked it up yet, but they ran between like 200Mhz and 450Mhz) and 64Mb if RAM. It is mostly for playing around, as I have a 2008 dell studio and am putting together a computer at the end of the summer. It would be nice if it could run a browser, and If I could utilize the SCSI drive.

It can boot from an IDE CD drive and the HDD is like 6Gb. Small question as well: Would being on the internet even be bearable with that? Also, I am looking at puppy linux, and would that run well enough with 64MB and a swap file? If not, is there anything older/smaller?

On a side note, the motherboard has a built in USB port. It came from the biology lab my mother worked at, and it has stickers on all the components marking the date they inventoried the computer, which was July 1997, so it must of been on of the first computers around with USB! The mouse and the keyboard still need to be PS/2 to boot correctly.

EDIT:I would consider myself being on an intermediate linux level.

More about : computer linux

Best solution

June 7, 2010 5:33:33 AM

Hi, I would recommend something debian based with lxde desktop manager. Or any distribution you want really... but you will probably want a very light weight desktop manager like lxde. Gnome and kde and probably even xfce will drain your ram.

http://lubuntu.net/
^Give this a try

edit: puppy linux is a good (out of the box) distribution too! so give it a try as well.
June 7, 2010 6:05:38 AM

If you can scrounge around and find another 64MB+ of RAM it would make the choice alot easier.
m
l
Related resources
June 7, 2010 6:08:19 AM

ive had xp running a quakeIII based game on 96mb of ram with a rivatnt 16mb card, so 64mb should be enough for a light linux install ;) 
m
l
June 7, 2010 6:28:20 AM

Oh it would for sure, but 128MB would make it just that much smoother. For starters, you could fit all of a PuppyLinux session in RAM (although applications would likely require swap space). Damn Small Linux would fit nicely in 128MB RAM, even 64MB.
m
l
July 28, 2010 10:28:00 PM

I will recommend SliTaz because it has all the features of a full linux distro while running nicely with 64mb or less of ram and at the same time keeping it's looks good too
m
l
July 30, 2010 6:19:26 PM

Hmm.. must say I'd not heard of that one. Looks interesting but the live environment would not give you much. Looking through the packages I see they have Firefox but with limited RAM it would be slow, no matter how good the underlying distro is.

http://www.slitaz.org/en/about/index.html
m
l
July 30, 2010 6:39:17 PM

I already put linux on it, just to see. It ram damn small linux, but puppy linux wouldnt boot due to hardware issues i think...It was really slow, and I got bored with it after a week and the computer is just sitting in the basement.
m
l
September 6, 2010 6:49:51 AM

Best answer selected by buwish.
m
l
!