Ubuntu Tips and Tricks

JVillella

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
Hi I'm purchasing a new Computer and will be using Ubuntu instead of Windows this time. I would use windows 7 but it doesn't support my software and i dont wanna use XP anymore. So I'm getting Ubuntu 10.04 which supports my software. Is there any tips or tricks that are good to know? or anything else i should know about Ubuntu? and is there an Alt-F4 trick in Ubuntu that brings up like a Task Manager or something? Thanks a lot! :D

Solution
Alt-F4 works in Ubuntu (at least it does for me). If it's not working for you... :

System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts
Scroll down to 'Window Management' and set a key binding for 'Close Window'.

What are you wanting to use Ctrl-Alt-Delete for? If you're wanting to use it to End Processes, etc., this can be done from :

System > Administration > System Monitor

I'm not sure that there's a shortcut key to open this, but there very well may be.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
You'll want to get familiar with the terminal. While there are ways to do almost anything you'll need to do using GUI's, the Terminal is a very powerful tool in *NIXes. It'll take some time, but it's not too bad. For example...

[cpp]sudo apt-get update[/cpp]
Will download all available updates. You will be required to input your root password.

[cpp]sudo apt-get upgrade[/cpp]
This will install the downloaded updates.

It's a bit strange, but it's fairly straight forward. :)

Alt-F2 is the "Run" command, if you used that at all on windows.

You can set key-bindings in System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts.

There's a lot more out there, but there's a few tips to get you started :) Good luck!

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Alt-F4 works in Ubuntu (at least it does for me). If it's not working for you... :

System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts
Scroll down to 'Window Management' and set a key binding for 'Close Window'.

What are you wanting to use Ctrl-Alt-Delete for? If you're wanting to use it to End Processes, etc., this can be done from :

System > Administration > System Monitor

I'm not sure that there's a shortcut key to open this, but there very well may be.

Solution