Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HELP XP does not see my second CPU core, have tried all solutions!!!

Last response: in Windows XP
February 20, 2008 2:20:10 AM

I cannot get WinXP to see my second core of my CPU and thus utilize it. I have a e6750 core 2 duo. I have XP pro and an evga 680i LT sli mobo. I have heard to change my ACPI to multicore from single core but it doesnt even say single core like everyone else I have seen, just "Advanced configuration and Power Interface (ACPI)"

Screen: http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=acpios7.jpg
Trying to install: http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=acpiinstallugg...

When I try to update the ACPI driver, it can only find the Advanced configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) driver and the "Standard computer" driver. No multicore or singlecore driver. I built my computer and installed my OS with the parts listed. It runs fine except for this issue. I also used CPU-Z and it also only recognizes 1 core.

I really dont want to lose my data with a new install.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Im kinda confused here, I tried to provide as much info as possible, but if you need anymore just say, I will be checking back often as Im anxious to resolve this issue.

I also found another site, but Im scared to use it.

http://www.handaware.com/multiprocessor_XP.html

It involves changing with my kernel files. And the place that it says to get the files from I dont have, but my family computer does have them, (but its running XP home). Since im running XP pro, will these kernels be different.

Lastly, does anyone know another place I could post this to get added help.

kthx

More about : cpu core solutions

February 20, 2008 6:07:31 PM

Open your task manager -> Click the Performance Tab -> Click View -> Go to CPU History and see if it has "One Graph per CPU enabled". Another thing to do is go under the Processes tab, right-click any process, and click "Set Affinity...". See if there is more than 1 check-box available. (Ex. CPU 1 and CPU 2)

Let me know what the above does for you. (If it does anything at all)

You can also check your device manager to see if your PC recognizes the CPU as an E6750.
February 21, 2008 12:45:17 AM

Nope, no set affinity, only 1 graph, and device manager only recognizes 1 CPU. I already checked this and I am sure windows is set for a single core processor. I just need help changing it because my computer doesn't have the multicore driver kernel thing for some #$@!ing reason.
Related resources
February 22, 2008 6:12:30 AM

I have found 2 solutions to my problem, one being a windows repair and use F5 to choose a driver, or that last link i posted, meaning i substitute the windows kernel/driver files. Can someone please confirm whether that tutorial in the last link (substituting windows files), will work, so I dont have to risk it or have to repair. (plz) x (infinity)
February 24, 2008 7:09:09 PM

the mods can close this if they want ive decided that im not gona get any help here.. so i just went and fixed it myself
June 15, 2009 5:02:52 PM

I had the same issue so I tried the substitution solution posted in your link and it did work, sort of. Under safe mode I removed HAL.DLL, ntoskrnl.exe, ntkrnlpa.exe from the system32 dir. and replaced them with halmacpi.dll, ntkrnlmp.exe, ntkrpamp.exe as instructed. Rebooted and this rendered Windows useless.... In the instructions it states: "Once in Safe Mode, replace HAL.DLL with halmacpi.dll, ntoskrnl.exe with ntkrnlmp.exe, and ntkrnlpa.exe with ntkrpamp.exe." The word "replace" is misleading. When I rebooted, I received the "Windows cannot find HAL.DLL, please re-install file" message. This was next to impossible since I was unable to boot windows in any manner, (not even Safe mode command prompt). As a last ditch effort, I threw in my Windows XP disk and opened up the Windows XP recovery counsel. From there I used DOS commands to rename the files halmacpi.dll, ntkrnlmp.exe, ntkrpamp.exe to HAL.DLL, ntoskrnl.exe, ntkrnlpa.exe respectively and rebooted the system, and what do you know, the system started up perfectly and two cores appeared in task manager and all was well with the world. The moral of the story is after you remove the three original files from the system32 directory, remember to rename the replacement files with the original file names so windows doesn't see them as missing when it reboots.

In the end, it did work.
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2010 6:42:09 PM

This topic has been closed by OvrClkr
!