Run multiple concurrent OSes! NO VM!

Hey, I am a 63 y.o. retired USAF computer tech. (sharpshooter, Avionics, Rocket Scientist), and grabbed a cheap used HP D530 ($75 at Seminole County Oxford Road library!).

I recently had an eerie experience, and upon re-boot, after a power failure, the situation remains the same, so it isn't my hallucinations, voices in my head, nor some psychic experience! My meds are all in order, and none are psychoactive...

I loaded several hard drives with different Linux Distros... Well, I left 2 of those hard drives connected to my IDE cable as /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdb1. I then booted up with two LCDs, and ran the nVidia proprietary driver #173.

Now, the left LCD (DMI connector - GPU0) boots up in Linux Mint 9 "Isadora", while the right LCD(VGA-GPU1) boots up in Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx!

They share the desktop apps. (firefox, opera, t-bird, apt-get or synaptic update, mouse and keyboard) but, NOT the unique toolbars and menus of each different OS!

I am definitely NOT running in a Virtual environment!!!

So, is this a NEW discovery??? A newly discovered capability?

WEIRD, wonderful, wacky, and useful?
3 answers Last reply
More about multiple concurrent oses
  1. It sounds like you are running window managers on different desktops on the different monitors. Nothing strange there - you could do that with a single monitor and an appropriate <Alt>-<Fx> key combination. Not that different to running several desktops with the same window manager - i.e. what most Linux setups do.

But are you truely running two Linux distros at once - i.e. two separate kernels? I very much doubt it. How about rebooting one distro whilst the other continues to run?
  2. Would you mind sharing some screencaps and pictures of the software and hardware? Inside and out please.

Semper Fi ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Go Air Force :)
  3. linuxiac38 said:

They share the desktop apps. (firefox, opera, t-bird, apt-get or synaptic update, mouse and keyboard) but, NOT the unique toolbars and menus of each different OS!

I am definitely NOT running in a Virtual environment!!!

No, just two desktop backgrounds on a dual screen set-up. Mint is a spin-off of Ubuntu so one of the desktops reverting to the default environment does not surprise me. I think Ijack nailed it with the first reply.

Strange the first time you see it I'll give you..
Ask a new question