Sign in with
Your question

Run multiple concurrent OSes! NO VM!

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 13, 2010 2:31:55 PM

Hey, I am a 63 y.o. retired USAF computer tech. (sharpshooter, Avionics, Rocket Scientist), and grabbed a cheap used HP D530 ($75 at Seminole County Oxford Road library!).

I recently had an eerie experience, and upon re-boot, after a power failure, the situation remains the same, so it isn't my hallucinations, voices in my head, nor some psychic experience! My meds are all in order, and none are psychoactive...

I loaded several hard drives with different Linux Distros... Well, I left 2 of those hard drives connected to my IDE cable as /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdb1. I then booted up with two LCDs, and ran the nVidia proprietary driver #173.

Now, the left LCD (DMI connector - GPU0) boots up in Linux Mint 9 "Isadora", while the right LCD(VGA-GPU1) boots up in Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx!

They share the desktop apps. (firefox, opera, t-bird, apt-get or synaptic update, mouse and keyboard) but, NOT the unique toolbars and menus of each different OS!

I am definitely NOT running in a Virtual environment!!!

So, is this a NEW discovery??? A newly discovered capability?

WEIRD, wonderful, wacky, and useful?
June 14, 2010 7:35:11 AM

It sounds like you are running window managers on different desktops on the different monitors. Nothing strange there - you could do that with a single monitor and an appropriate <Alt>-<Fx> key combination. Not that different to running several desktops with the same window manager - i.e. what most Linux setups do.

But are you truely running two Linux distros at once - i.e. two separate kernels? I very much doubt it. How about rebooting one distro whilst the other continues to run?
June 14, 2010 2:21:37 PM

Would you mind sharing some screencaps and pictures of the software and hardware? Inside and out please.

Semper Fi ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Go Air Force :) 

June 16, 2010 9:11:45 PM

linuxiac38 said:

They share the desktop apps. (firefox, opera, t-bird, apt-get or synaptic update, mouse and keyboard) but, NOT the unique toolbars and menus of each different OS!

I am definitely NOT running in a Virtual environment!!!

No, just two desktop backgrounds on a dual screen set-up. Mint is a spin-off of Ubuntu so one of the desktops reverting to the default environment does not surprise me. I think Ijack nailed it with the first reply.

Strange the first time you see it I'll give you..
!