This will probably sound crazy but...

jt001

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
So basically what I wanna do here is, I wanna share some of my storage with my friend, across the internet. What I wanna do is have a shared folder he can access over the internet(he lives a few blocks from me and is on the same isp if that makes any difference) I'm sure this is possible, but I also want it to be secure, encrypted if possible, and ideally we would be able to map the drive so he could use it as though it were local.

Also if this is even possible in the first place, would my router block the file transfers and cause any issues, and could it be configured to allow this?

jt001

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I actually found a program I liked after I posted on here, it's called eftp, I have the server setup and I can transfer files between computers on my network, but how would I access it outside my network from another computer because I'm behind a router, eg say my external ip is 25.123.123.123, and the computer that the ftp is on is 192.168.1.1, how do I make it forward the request to the proper ip on my network?

dirian

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
you will have to map the port on your router. ftp port if memory serves is 21, so in your router map port 21 to the servers ip. you friend will connect to your external ip, but any traffic to port 21 (ftp) will be redirected to your server. this is of course assuming your using a router... hope that helps.

knight_runner

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
What it sounds like you want to do you would need to setup a VPN, inside a VPN your computers would appear to be on the same network, including network neighborhood and all. But if you are just routinely transfering files and such I would recommend using an ftp server and client that support ssl (secure socket layer). Be aware that most ISPs including Verizon and Cox cable both block port 21 (ftp port) so when you setup the server make sure you tell it to use another port like 7000 or some other random high number port. There are some free such as Filezilla (excellent program) http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/ . Once you have installed the server you need to punch a hole through windows firewall on that port and configure your router to forward that port to your computers IP in which you are hosting the FTP server. There are also some additional ports which you need to forward but that will be explained in the FTP server instructions. Hope that helps you.

imrightbehindyou

Distinguished
May 23, 2007
All I wanna do is host an ftp server so that family and friends can upload and download stuff on my computer. I have been at this a while, and read tons of stuff. I currently have a domain name through dyndns.org (michaelschneider.is-a-geek.com), but I don't know what IP to set it to. I also have 2 servers (http & ftp), but I don't know how to address them from the outside internet. Currently, I have ports 20, 21, 80, and 1025-10000 forwarded to my internal ip address (192.168.0.10). I also removed the firewall, and set up my local ip as the DMZ Host (Which evidently is like forewarding all ports ot my ip???). Now, I have gone to a lot of different sites that tell me "my ip", which is allegedly 148.245.101.238, but it doesn't do anything. My local addresses 127.0.0.1, 192.168.0.10, and the "WAN IP Address" that my router reports (172.16.66.61) all work for my internal network. So I can get to my servers from these, but I don't think the outside network can do anything yet. There is also the "Gateway IP" of my router which is 172.16.0.1, and it doesn't do anything either. All IPs work if I do "ping IP", except for 148.245... and 172.16.0.1. Can somebody help me?