Status
Not open for further replies.

mstaxi

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Hi,
I am installing VISTA 64 HOME PREMIUM,I have 2 X 500GB 7200 32mb Drives
Vista installed on say A
Do I need to PARTITION a section of the 2nd drive for the page file thingy to make it access faster ect
If so can someone tell me how please

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Normally, having the partition on another drive than the OS should help.

Do you really need to create a partition for that? No.

But I prefer to leave that tech being. I got instead 4GB with my Vista64 and lowered the Paging File to only 512Mb. With that amount of memory, the Paging file is not really used and RAM is much faster than swapping. RAM is so cheap anyway.

Now, when I quit my game, Vista is responsive right away. I can even shutdown like 5 seconds after I quit my game.

PaxeSalute

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008

Good tip, Thks , I am about to install Visa Home Pre 64bit on my new Rig, which have today XP PRO Sp2 32bit.
I have 8GB RAM and was think to move Paging File to its own partition on my second SATA HD1.

do you know if I can still do it and asign as you did only 512Mb to make Vista use only RAM ressource?

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006

Well, you can be aggressive and start by disabling the Paging File. If you computer start crashing while using it, reenable and start with low value like 128MB. You increase the value until Vista stop crashing.

Or you can just simply put 512MB and should be fine. Disabling is not recommanded. Maybe some applications need more (not my case)? Only testing will tell you. It's like overclocking, you have to try and test! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.