Booting up / recovering from sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

sameuroman

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Strange...

Recently my system won't wake up from sleep. Actually it won't start at all if I try to boot it.

It used to work fine, as soon as I moved the mouse, pressed a key, or the power button, it would wake up in a blink of an eye.

Now, if I try to wake it up, not much happens, I can see that the case coolers start spinning, but the flashing light indicating that the DVD is spinning, nor HDD activity seems to initiate.
Even if I then perform a shut down (press and hold the power button for 5 secs, unplugs the power or similar) and tries to boot it up again from scratch, the system just hangs... the fans will spin, but the drives doesn't startup. No post messages, no bios (no signal to the monitor.)

I have to wait at least 30+ minutes, but then it starts like nothing at all.
I have monitors on the temperatures, and nothing indicates that heat is an issue, it doesn't matter if I have been playing for hours, or if I just turned on the system. The CPU temp is under 50 celcius and the case is max 35 degrees.

I have been taking it apart, checking cabels several times, without it solving anything.

The power should be sufficient with a OCZ 700w GameXstream, its AMD 4200+ X2, ASUS AR832 MVP deluxe MB, 2 GB OCZ RAM, DVD, HDU and a soundblaster. The OS is Vista, even this shouldn't be relevant.

Does it make any sence to any of you??

lilsage

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
I avoid sleep if at all possibe. Have had too many issues with it... mostly like the ones you discribe... though not the 30 min part. What you may want to do is have a run through the device manager. Vista gives the options to turn things off to save power... and options to have things wake the device up. If they are set funny that could cause trouble. I myself recommend hibernating the machine. Doesn't use any power... sleep does... and keeps everything you were working on ready to go. Takes up some HD space... but gives the best of both worlds... no power use and not have to start-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.