mlaporta

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Is there any real advantages to selecting XP Pro 32-bit over just XP Pro???

I am building a new unit and want to purchase the OEM OS software and need to make a decision.

Been around computers for many years and heard all the horror stories mainly with "Application Support", with like IBM OS/2, Apple Mac's, UNIX, etc and don't know enough about "Operating Systems" to make an educated decision.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Right now the only advantage of a 64Bit OS is that it will read more than 3.+ GB of RAM but there also seem to be application and driver issues with 64Bit. Windows is coming out with SP1 for Vista including 64Bit I think but whether this will address the major problem is yet to be determined.

@ OP>XP Pro is 32 bit. They are one in the same. There are no major problems with VISTA 64. I've loaded up VISTA on many machines many tmes with absoluely zero problems. There is much user error and incompotence however. A lot of people on this site use VISTA 64, have no major problems and realize how much more advanced an OS it is when compared to an excessively patched up, blah XP operating system. The finalized SP1 is already installed on my VISTA 64 Ultimate. You should try it.