Upgrading to Draft-N...

jeroly

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
I currently have the following setup, all based on 802.11g:

Buffalo WLA-G54 serving as an access point running WDS (not dedicated)
Buffalo WLA2-G54 and WLA-G54C serving as ethernet bridges, running WDS (dedicated) bridged to the WLA-G54

10/100/1000 ethernet switch connected to the WLA2-G54, into which are connected a PC and a ReplayTV

ReplayTV connected to the WLA-G54C

Linksys WRT54G serving as an access point to which various PCs, PDAs, etc are wirelessly connected, along with the WLA-G54, a media server, and a NAS device through the wired ports of the router.

I would like to upgrade the network to a dual-band Draft-N based network.

My main question concerns replacing the dedicated ethernet bridges I am now using. It does not appear as if any manufacturers are currently producing Draft-N bridges. What should I do?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry Paulson

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
A man with a set up crazier than mine I'm impressed.

Here is where you might run into trouble wds is not standardized and may not work among different routers your linksys and buffalo all use broadcom chips so therefore it is compatible.

As for no draft n bridges here's four see if you can find one with a draft n broadcom chip in it. My money is on that the linksys does.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2050410 335+1132821052&Configurator=&Subcategory=335&description=&Ntk=&a mp;srchInDesc=

I don't think you'll really gain anything unless you change change all of your equipment to draft n that you want to get the extra speed. Start by buying the router that connects direct to the internet along with some draft n adapters then go from there. Some of this stuff is pretty buggy so check the reviews. I'm currently happy with my super g mimo network but yours is much more expandable. I'm waiting for the finalized n gear. Once I see someone stream 1080i from one end of the house to the other then I'll upgrade.