Sign in with
Your question

when repairing windows, what is the administrator password?

Last response: in Windows XP
February 25, 2008 3:00:21 AM

Hi, I am a beginner. My windows just recently crashed, and I had to repair it. During this process, I was asked for the administrator password. However, I have never set any password for my computer. What should I do now?

Thanks for the assistance.
February 25, 2008 4:54:24 AM

try hitting just the 'enter' key.
February 25, 2008 5:28:53 AM

i did.. it just kept on asking me for the password.

Related resources
February 25, 2008 5:37:39 AM

For Windows XP Home just hit the 'enter' key. I believe XP Pro requires the admin password, not sure.

Are you booting to the CD or just inserting the CD and working from windows?

Have you tried going to to the 'second' repair console? You have to boot to the windows CD to get to the first and second repair consoles.
February 25, 2008 8:32:23 AM

well this is the problem if you never set a password then the password field should just be left blank.....

administrator passwords are set when you first install windows, so i would ask whoever installed windows what the password is.
February 25, 2008 4:30:38 PM

I am using XP Pro. I am booting from CD, and I am using the repair console. But it kept on asking me for the admin password. I install the windows myself, but i didn't copy down the password.
February 25, 2008 7:55:18 PM

Try the 'second' instance of repair. Do ot enter into the first 'repair' console. Proceed to the second 'repair' option. I don't know, you may be familiar with the procedure.
February 25, 2008 8:56:48 PM

How do I get into eh second instance of repair?

Thank you for the assistance.
February 25, 2008 9:35:32 PM

I don't have a Windows CD in front of me, but when the first instance of 'do you want to repair' appears continue on to 'install' Windows. A second instance of repair will be available. Choose that one.
!