Status
Not open for further replies.

murdatapes

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Yes is there a way to log network connection loss for a wireless network?
I get disconnects a lot and want to track how many times during the day. Can you customize event viewer or something to track it?

Vista Ultimate

vangvace

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Double check your drivers and firmware for your wireless card and router respectively. I had a very similar problem with my wireless network. It ended up being my drivers. Once I updated them no problems since. When looking for drivers be sure to go into device manager and search by your wireless nic's name and not the laptop's model number. That was my lesson learned the hard way.

Try changing what channel you are running on the router as well. By default it's 6 normally. 1 or 11 give less interference. (assuming you are using wireless G BTW)

Edit: Try also turning off IPv6. I'm not sure if it'll fix anything, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

murdatapes

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Thanks for the ideas man. I will try that IPv6.

My connection problem is a little different though. What you described is the average disconnects from a wireless LAN. My problem is my router disconnects from the modem, but the local network is still in tact. When it disconnects from the modem, I can still reach my router but not the internet. Troubleshooted this problem with Linksys about a month ago, for almost 2 hours cause they couldn't figured it out. But I would like to log the disconnects, cause I just changed the "Connect on Demand : Max Idle Time" to 40min, and installed a driver, (a driver that wasn't on Linksys site). I want to see if those 2 worked.

murdatapes

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Well right before I posted that reply above, the router disconnected from the modem. My network map shows router still available but modem is grayed out for no communication to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.