Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 24, 2011 10:34:50 PM

Hello,
I have an
- Asus P5GD2 Premium moutherboard
- Intel P4 CPU 3.20 GHz Socket 755
- 2048 Mb RAM
- 2 IDE HDD
After blowing out the mahchine (dirty environment) I started getting CPU errors: "System failed CPU test". I removed the CPU fan, lifted out the CPU, yep lots of dust, blew out the CPU socket and underside of CPU. Nice little dus cloud. Reasembled and it booted just fine. Second time I booted it it decided it had a new (different) CPU. Ran setup it reported correct CPU values. Rebooted and have experienced several OS boot errors since. "Missing or corrupt boot files (boot.ini, etc.) Got past those, not sure what I did that corrected that problem. Am now stlck on error message
|"Stop: c0000320 (Registry File Failure) The registery cannot load the hive (file).
<path>

I have had similar problems before when upgrading a CPU. I have never been able to get the machine to boot completely up and have always had to relaod the OS and Apps. which has caused some major problems with loss of legacy applications.

Most of the peopel on this form seem to believe you should be able to swap to a compatiable CPU without looseing the OS. Any ideas what I am doing wrong. It usually appears to revolve around boot files or registery problems.

September 26, 2011 7:47:14 PM

Those errors are generally related to a bad hard drive or memory. Check both to determine where the real error is.
October 7, 2011 2:03:10 AM

In the text of my question I stated "I have had similar problems before when upgrading a CPU. I have never been able to get the machine to boot completely up and have always had to relaod the OS and Apps. which has caused some major problems with loss of legacy applications."
i.e. I have had this problem on multiple machines with different memory, motherboards, CPUs and HD. On all of them I ended up reloading Windows onto the same hardware and things worked just hunkey doriey, with the major exception of loosing some legacy apps.
So I really do not beleive that the "real problem" is memory or HD. Just to satisfy this simplistic notion I ran memory diagnostic (Memtest86) on the machine currently in question and it ran clean. After running cdksk <drive> /F /R on the drive to clean up errors from the problem under discussion I booted a different load of the OS on the machine currently under discussion, made the original boot drive a slave so I could do an image backup before I mess with the registery to try to recover from this error. Neither the disk or the disk controller are posting hardware errors.
October 7, 2011 11:01:33 PM

I have never had to reload Windows when JUST changing the CPU; only when changing the motherboard. The errors about missing or corrupt boot files have nothing to do with a CPU change. I see there WERE hard drive issues as I suspected.
!