Comcast/Motorola DVR box and Ethernet connection?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 24, 2004 9:35:46 AM

Just recently I have had a Motorola DVR box from Comcast installed at
my home. It replaced my older HDTV set top box. With the old cable
box, I had been told the DVI output was not enabled. On the new box I
thought I would try it out. On this box it is enabled and works. Then
I started looking at the other inputs/outputs on this box. There is an
Ethernet port, so what the heck, I tried to hook it into my router, to
see it I could access the hard drive via my PC. Well no luck, so far.
I have not even been able to "see" this device on my network. I guess
that's why I'm posting this. Does anyone out there know how to make
this work? In case this would help, I have a linksys router, and a PC
running Windows XP pro. I'm not even sure what I expect to accomplish
by doing this, but thought perhaps I could watch the files from my PC,
or maybe burn them to DVD for long term storage.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 7:51:53 PM

The Moto 6200 series boxes all have DOCSIS cable modems inside them --
that's what the Ethernet port connects to. If your cable company hasn't
enabled the box's internal cable modem, you're SOL.

If you want to record content to a PC, use the Firewire (IEEE1394)
interface; provide you have the right firmware rev on the box and the right
PC software, it should work. There are several threads at www.avsforum.com
devoted to this very purpose.

FWIW, I regularly record HD content from my 6200 box to a G3 Mac running OS
X, with no problems.

"Randy" <Randy@?.com> wrote in message
> Just recently I have had a Motorola DVR box from Comcast installed at
> my home. It replaced my older HDTV set top box. With the old cable
> box, I had been told the DVI output was not enabled. On the new box I
> thought I would try it out. On this box it is enabled and works. Then
> I started looking at the other inputs/outputs on this box. There is an
> Ethernet port, so what the heck, I tried to hook it into my router, to
> see it I could access the hard drive via my PC. Well no luck, so far.
> I have not even been able to "see" this device on my network. I guess
> that's why I'm posting this. Does anyone out there know how to make
> this work? In case this would help, I have a linksys router, and a PC
> running Windows XP pro. I'm not even sure what I expect to accomplish
> by doing this, but thought perhaps I could watch the files from my PC,
> or maybe burn them to DVD for long term storage.
March 14, 2010 9:11:52 PM

Firewire is one of those obsolescent Apple specialties. Would the USB port work similarly? And what about the Ethernet port? If the router doesn't see it, does that mean the it's not enabled?